replaced laptop but used same harddrive, ram etc. Windows not recognise!

Thread: replaced laptop but used same harddrive, ram etc. Windows not recognise!

replaced laptop but used same harddrive, ram etc. Windows not recognise!

So My laptop cost a little too much to repair and I had a cheaper option of putting all the gibblets into a different animal altogether. It is a different laptop granted but the brain is the same, same harddrive same rams same everything. Windows gave a warning that it is not a genuine version and will shut down.
    How do I convince windows that this is the same harddrive and that I changed nothing on it?
    Technically it is the same so I need not buy a new version. I read on another forum that windows will not work if you change the harddrive but that is the very one that I did not change. Am I right assuming that windows is making a mistake asking me to purchase a new key?

The motherboard ID would be different from the old one, even if they are the same model. If you moved the hard drive from one laptop to another, that would trigger the activation. If anything, you can try to reactivate Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

That's about the best we can offer. We cannot give you information on getting around the activation per the AUP.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/aup.html
    You will not use these Posting Features for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems.

The Microsoft Windows license for OEM versions of Windows are tied to the original computer hardware. In other words, when the hardware dies, so does the Windows license. S-o-m-e-t-i-m-e-s, if you only replaced a part or two, Microsoft will allow you to reactivate the same Windows license with the new hardware. The only way to know for sure though is to cross your fingers and give it a try.

Ok so if I have put on a new windows now and in future I come across parts to repair the original animal and placed the gibblets back inside the original laptop, will windows again not recognise???
    Would there be a way around it, say partition off a section and install the new windows in that and put all the info and programs over to the new partition, then leave the original windows as is in the old partition? Is that possible at all? How?
    If I then ever were to find affordable parts for the original will the original windows start working again when it sees the old motherboard I.P.?

If you could get the original motherboard repaired at a reasonable price (unlikely), and you used the other original hardware, you co8uld probably reinstall Windows using the original restore disc.

Sorry replied in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by glussier; May 25th, 2015 at 09:57 AM.

The only way to know for sure if reactivation will work is to try it.

Here's Midknyte's link again:

Thread Information