Can't use, repair, uninstall or reinstall iTunes

Thread: Can't use, repair, uninstall or reinstall iTunes

Can't use, repair, uninstall or reinstall iTunes

Hi,

I am not sure how to address this but i had not used iTunes in a while. I only use it to download podcasts and such. Today, as i wanted to start it, i got messages that it was not installed properly.

The procedure entry point CMBlockBufferCopyDataBytes could not be located in the Dynamic link library CoreMedia.dll

Clicking OK brings up this message:

iTunes was not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes.
    Error 7 (Windows error 127)

But when i try to repaid or uninstall iTunes, i get more error messages:

The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory:
    C:\ProgramData\E1864A66-75E3-486a-BD95-D1B7D99A84A7.
    The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator

And then

Could not open key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@Apple.com/iTunes,version=
    Verify that you have sufficient access to that key. or contact your support personnel.

SO i am a little stumped because i have no clue what that all means. Can someone help me?

Thanks

Are you installing using the same user account that you used originally, and is that user account an Administrator account?

Have you tried right-clicking the installer program and selecting Run as Administrator?

You might need to take ownership of that registry key:

http://www.howtogeek.com/77878/take-...-in-windows-7/

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.10).aspx

Are you installing using the same user account that you used originally, and is that user account an Administrator account?
    Yes i think so.

Have you tried right-clicking the installer program and selecting Run as Administrator?
    Yes i tried that with the same result

You might need to take ownership of that registry key:
    Now, can you explain what it means to take ownership? and what is the difference between taking it as a user and as an administrator since i am the only one using this computer? Please clarify so i can complete that process more efficiently.

Thanks

If you are getting a permission error on that registry key when attempting to reinstall iTunes, that generally means that the key cannot be changed by the user account you are currently using. If you follow the procedure I posted links for, you should be able to make sure that the registry key in question is owned by the user account you are using to reinstall iTunes, and you should not get that error.

I followed those instructions, changed the "ownership" to my user account, but in the end, i get the exact same result if i want to uninstall (from the control panel), if i want to run iTunes, or if i want to reinstall it. And btw, i don't have any "uninstaller" that i can find, other than through the add/remove program from the control panel.

You could try saving a copy of that registry key (export it), then delete it from the registry to see if the installer will run then.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-7.htm

Ok looking closely, i was taking ownership of the wrong key. I can't seem to find this one:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@Apple.com/iTunes,version=

i have:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\ (noticed, the 32 is missing)

but from there, there is no @Apple.com in the choices either. Am i looking in the wrong place?
    Last edited by Cassel; May 25th, 2015 at 09:42 PM.

Start with Post #33. And Post 39 explains what happened.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...pen-key/page-3

Good luck!

Thank you. That solved it.

You re Welcome.
    Googling " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@Apple.com/iTunes,version= " is what lead me to that finding.

If the problem is resolved, above your first post is Thread tools, in there you can make it resolved.

Thread Information