Slow operating system

Thread: Slow operating system

Slow operating system

Hi Guys , Its been a long time since I needed to use this site but I now have a query that I hope you can help with .

I have 3 laptops all running windows 7 . I recently had to put a new hard drive into one and update the other from xp . they all about 5 to 6 years old. all 3 seem to run slow upon startup . boot time is slow but for example logging into facebook causes a 2 minute freeze initially . ( it loads quickly after that ) the same is true with other sites. if I try downloading multiple torrents it freezes too , same is true trying to run multiple applications. All seem to be running very little upon startup . services don't seem to have much going on . all malware and virus scans come back good ... all updates are installed . whats going on ? Is it windows 7 ? I'm not the only one who has complained of this issue either ? all have decent RAM and processors . Don't understand what they running so slow .

Can anyone advise ?
    Sorry if this was raised previously .
    Thanks

TFC (Temp File Cleaner)by old timer
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/

7.4 GB of garbage, is the most I have found on a laptop acting like that.

I highly recommend weekly usage.

A little more info might help:

1. On each of those three machines, click the Windows Start orb, right-click Computer and select Properties. Now:

1. Which "Processor",
      2. how much "Installed memory (RAM)" and
      3. what is the Windows Experience Index "Rating"

on each?

2. While still in that window, click "Device Manager" on the left, then double-click "Disk drives" and give us the model number of the boot drive for each.

Thanks for reply

3 gigs in all . on laptop I'm using at moment it has "rating " of 4.0

drive is WDC WD32 00BEVT-60A23TO SATA DRIVE

Processor is AMD Athlon Dual Processor 2.30ghz

let you know about the others when I can .. cheers

WDC WD32 00BEVT-60A23TO SATA DRIVE is a 5200 rpm laptop drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136197

3 gb has slowed me down many a time.

Best bet, post the make and model of that laptop.
    As you may need a ram upgrade.

If the computer and OS are both 64-bit capable, recommending bumping it up to at least 4GB or RAM.

A WDC WD32 00BEVT-60A23TO is an older SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive with a mere 8MB cache running at leisurely 5,400 RPM. Might want to consider replacing it wth a SSD (solid state disk).

Oh. An AMD Athlon Dual Processor 2.30ghz (P360?) is a rather lightweight CPU. May not want to sink a whole lot of money into it.

Have you tried the basic speed-up tips? http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...-up-windows-7/

Its my nieces laptop and it doesn't get much use so not that bothered . more concerned with my own which has just had a new hard drive installed . There is nothing on it and just so slow when initially opening programs. I will try the basic speed up tricks .

Its a HP dm1 1030sa

Windows Experience is 3.3
    Doesn't say what processor is in it . just says genuine intel CPU U4100 @ 1.30ghz x 2

Drive is HGST HTS545050A7E680 ATA

Prior to last hard drive going bust it was running fine but very noticeably decline is initial start up .

Thanks

Hmmm, yet another weak CPU and a slow 5,400 RPM spinner. Same advice then: bump up the RAM to at least 4GB (with a 64-bit OS), get a SSD and run through the basic speed-up tricks.

Note: On s-l-o-w hardware with weak CPUs, try keeping your 'live' malware protection to a bare-bones minimum.

thanks for replies. I'm just wondering why only now has it manifested itself as an issue . CPU is the same as when bought . prior to hard drive dying it was running fine and very quick response to boot and load programs. I only use Norton Internet security and SuperAntiSpyware as protection but neither seem to be using a lot of resources . Though I do get a lot of high performance messages for Norton . Is 1 gig of Ram gonna make that much difference ? It can take up to 5 gigs . Can CPU be upgraded or is that not cost effective ?
    I basically just use this laptop for social media and torrents so I suppose I could live with the initial slowness . My gut feeling is that something other than RAM or CPU is causing it and just wondered if I could find out what . Or even if its a Window 7 issue as a colleague in work is complaining of the same thing . Maybe something in an update ? Cheers for all the answers !!

I only use Norton Internet security and SuperAntiSpyware.
    NIS is a resource hog. SAS got bought out a few years ago. Use Malwarebytes instead.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1...erantispyware/

Quote Originally Posted by vulture10 View Post

... I suppose I could live with the initial slowness .
    1) There is no simple, single, magic button.

2) Have you tried doing a System Restore or restoring a backup, back to a date back before the problem occurred?

3) If not, have you tried the 10 ways to speed up Windows 7?

thanks will switch to malwarebytes. cheers.

I did look at the 10 steps to quicken it but to be honest . this new hard drive went in only 2 months ago. ( prob less as not sure of the exact time) and a lot of them points are irrelevant. eg .. if I run msconfig it doesn't show up anything untoward. hard drive is essentially empty so why defrag ? straight away there was issues.
    have recovery disks from the old system. maybe I should try them ??

Upgrade to a 7200 rpm hdd or better yet a SSD. I used 240 GB SSD. About $80 for it.

Thread Information