should I get more RAM or a new computer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should I get more RAM or a new computer?

bigdan--If you decide to get a new computer, remember that Windows 10 will be available in a couple of months.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

My computer was on hibernate for the last few hours. I just turned it on and its Core 1: 44C, Core 2: 46C

That's good but there was something pushing it to those higher temps before. That doesn't happen on it's own. Do the malware check and look at the vents/fans as suggested too.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

First step: Clean that thing out and replace the heatsink compound. Next make sure the cooling fan is functional.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Derp View Post
    First step: Clean that thing out and replace the heatsink compound. Next make sure the cooling fan is functional.
    its a laptop. is that easy enough to open without screwing things up?

Every Laptop is different.
    If you type your Make and Model Number into Youtube, you may be able to find a Video for disassembling your laptop.
    I won't say it's easy, it's definitely not.
    Your Laptop is like a Desktop Computer, the Fans and Vents get Clogged and Plugged up with Dust and Animal Hair and need to be cleaned.
    The Thermal Grease is like your Cars Oil, it does Break Down and need to be replaced eventually.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, a Mom & Pop Computer Store is your Best Bet.
    Call them and ask how much it would cost to have your Laptop Cleaned and the Thermal Grease Replaced!

Asus Zenbook Q508UG-212.R7TBL 2-in-1 Laptop
    AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor
    8gb DDR4 RAM (Soldered on Motherboard)
    1gb Western Digital Blue NVMe SSD
    NVIDA MX450 (DDR6)
    15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) Touchscreen
    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC 7260
    USB 1 x 2.0 - USB 1 x 3.0 - USB-C 1 x 3.1
    Micro SD Card Reader
    Lighted Keyboard
    Webcam/Microphone
    Windows 11 Professional
    MS Office 365 Family
    Logitech Anywhere MX Mouse

BigDan,
    Here is a Link with a video on Youtube for Disassembling an Acer Aspire V5 471.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcLuzGfMssc
    Over to the Right are other Videos on Disassembling for other Makes and Models of Laptops.
    This should give you an Idea of what you're getting into!

Asus Zenbook Q508UG-212.R7TBL 2-in-1 Laptop
    AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor
    8gb DDR4 RAM (Soldered on Motherboard)
    1gb Western Digital Blue NVMe SSD
    NVIDA MX450 (DDR6)
    15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) Touchscreen
    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC 7260
    USB 1 x 2.0 - USB 1 x 3.0 - USB-C 1 x 3.1
    Micro SD Card Reader
    Lighted Keyboard
    Webcam/Microphone
    Windows 11 Professional
    MS Office 365 Family
    Logitech Anywhere MX Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by bugspop1 View Post
    Every Laptop is different.
    If you type your Make and Model Number into Youtube, you may be able to find a Video for disassembling your laptop.
    I won't say it's easy, it's definitely not.
    Your Laptop is like a Desktop Computer, the Fans and Vents get Clogged and Plugged up with Dust and Animal Hair and need to be cleaned.
    The Thermal Grease is like your Cars Oil, it does Break Down and need to be replaced eventually.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, a Mom & Pop Computer Store is your Best Bet.
    Call them and ask how much it would cost to have your Laptop Cleaned and the Thermal Grease Replaced!
    OK I'll look into it.

I've discovered an awesome Chrome extension that 'suspends' the tabs that are not in use, so they're still open but not using much memory. It's been such a game changer! Which means there's less load on the computer now.

The temp's are now typically 50s and 60s. Is that OK or that's also too high? At the moment they're both an even 50, and this is with Firefox with abotu 10 tabs open, 3 PDF's, one Excel, one VLC, and a couple Notepad's open.

That explains a lot. Chrome is a known ram hog. Do you have any Chrome apps installed also? Those run a Chrome.exe instance in the background.

There is a known memory leak also.
    Chromium (or browsers based on) still suffer from that ugly bug which causes a big chunk of memory leak each time a user opens the popup UI of an extension.
    https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=441500

50-60 is definitely better.

Yes I do have a number of Chrome apps installed. Not sure which would be the biggest hogs.

The suspending app I just installed over the last week has been a life changer though! Highly highly recommended!

Which one are you using? There are quite a few for Chrome (and Firefox too)
    http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/8-hand...abs-1709257073
    The Great Suspender is another one.

Chrome has become really bloated and it's even worse with Apps. Look in your Task Manager and see how many Google Chrome.exe and Google Chrome Helper.exes there are. That's probably what is eating up all your RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Which one are you using? There are quite a few for Chrome (and Firefox too)
    http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/8-hand...abs-1709257073
    The Great Suspender is another one.

Chrome has become really bloated and it's even worse with Apps. Look in your Task Manager and see how many Google Chrome.exe and Google Chrome Helper.exes there are. That's probably what is eating up all your RAM.
    yeah that's the one, The Great Suspender.

Is there a way of knowing which things in Task Manager are Chrome tabs and which are Chrome extensions?

http://www.howtogeek.com/139434/how-...all-my-memory/

You need to look at the Process ID (PID) in the Chrome Task Manager and compare that to Windows Task Manager.

Thread Information