Any Way to Autorun from a Flash Drive?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Any Way to Autorun from a Flash Drive?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    799

    Any Way to Autorun from a Flash Drive?

    We have a CD we've created for our client with a sales/marketing program on it. The program doesn't need to be installed, it just autoruns from the the CD. The only problem is that many of the sales people now have laptops with no disk drive. They are asking for us to create a flash drive they can insert and have the program autorun exactly as with the CD.

    Is this possible in Windows 7 and newer? Is there any way to achieve this? They don't even need the flash drives to be able to store any other files, they just want to run this program from them.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    21,584
    Google-> autorun from flash drive

    and see all the articles
    "They say "don't try this at home" so I'm coming over to your house to try it."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 1998
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    23,984
    Note that the reason that modern versions of Windows have thumb drive autorun disabled by default is that there are certain viruses that target thumb drives' autorun feature...

    https://blog.comodo.com/malware-2/ma...autorun-virus/

    So even if you create an autorun thumb drive most Windows users won't get it to run automatically when they use it unless they reset autorun defaults on their own computer.

    In fact there are some handy little utilities that stop thumb drives from ever being autorun enabled..

    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...B-flash-drives
    Don't believe everything you think.
    _____________________
    cat lovers click here

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Google-> autorun from flash drive

    and see all the articles
    Wow Steve...search Google. What an amazing suggestion! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. Oh wait, I spent most of yesterday doing that, which is why I came here to where the "experts" might have some other suggestions.

    Why even bother posting something if it's nothing more than "go search Google"? Are you just trolling me?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Note that the reason that modern versions of Windows have thumb drive autorun disabled by default is that there are certain viruses that target thumb drives' autorun feature...
    Yes, I understand that, and that's what I told the owner of the company but it would be great if we could come up with another solution for the client.

    Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    So even if you create an autorun thumb drive most Windows users won't get it to run automatically when they use it unless they reset autorun defaults on their own computer.
    I just want it to behave the same way a CD/DVD would. I realize that autorun is normally disabled by default in Windows 7 and later, but it still pops up and asks you what you'd like to do when a disc is inserted, and run the autorun program is the first option.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    53,403
    Lot of work
    http://www.visualdesigning.com/artic...run-usb-drive/

    My search has other links
    https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...utf-8&oe=utf-8

    If you state that you had search and hit a blank wall, it sure would help out.
    SMILE
    and post back. Let us know if it worked.
    [ Book mark this post to find it again]

    AntiX-16, MX-16 and Win 10

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Lot of work
    http://www.visualdesigning.com/artic...run-usb-drive/

    My search has other links
    https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...utf-8&oe=utf-8

    If you state that you had search and hit a blank wall, it sure would help out.
    Thank you, Train, I will definitely look into this. You're right, I guess I should have stated that I had already researched and hit a brick wall, but I figured that was implied by coming here. Maybe some users come here without trying to solve a problem themselves, but this is always my last hope after having exhausted my own research.

    Are most members of Virtual Dr. not expected to have already done at least basic research on a problem themselves? I may have reacted a little harshly, but you'd think I'd get a little more feedback than simply, "search Google". I may not have over 20,000 posts, but I'm also not new to the site by any means.

    Anyway, I did continue researching on my own and found this site which may also give me what I'm looking for: http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/9...-a-flash-drive

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    16,590
    Windows 7 has AutoRun turned off by default for security reasons. There are ways to re-enable it, but if these are company laptops, the company IT department isn't likely to want to allow AutoRun to be enabled, since it makes the laptops much more vulnerable to malicious code.

    http://superuser.com/questions/53815...s-on-windows-7

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...open-a-webpage

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...hrough-autorun

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Windows 7 has AutoRun turned off by default for security reasons. There are ways to re-enable it, but if these are company laptops, the company IT department isn't likely to want to allow AutoRun to be enabled, since it makes the laptops much more vulnerable to malicious code.
    Understood. I, and the client, would be happy with just having it behave the same way a CD/DVD would. If you put a CD/DVD into a disk drive on Windows 7 (for instance) and the user hasn't changed the default options for how Windows handles the autorun, it would pop up with a list of AutoPlay options, the first being "Install or run program from your media" AutorunProgram.exe. That's all we're wanting to do. From the link Train posted and the one that I found, it looks like we should be able to make a section of the thumb drive (or the entire thing for all we care) partitioned to act like a CD-ROM (emphasis on Read Only). If we can get this to work, the client would be happy with that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    16,590
    If the laptops have slots for flash memory cards, you could put the program on those and set up a Desktop shortcut to the program. That would eliminate the need for any autorun settings.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If the laptops have slots for flash memory cards, you could put the program on those and set up a Desktop shortcut to the program. That would eliminate the need for any autorun settings.
    Good thought, but I don't believe their laptops are all the same and unlikely they will all have built-in card readers. I'll look into this, though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    53,403
    The two together should do the trick.
    Mine, usb 3.0 sticks, I normally use them for boot drives with Linux on them.
    SMILE
    and post back. Let us know if it worked.
    [ Book mark this post to find it again]

    AntiX-16, MX-16 and Win 10

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    21,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Webshark2000 View Post
    Are most members of Virtual Dr. not expected to have already done at least basic research on a problem themselves? I may have reacted a little harshly, but you'd think I'd get a little more feedback than simply, "search Google". I may not have over 20,000 posts, but I'm also not new to the site by any means.
    My reply above was based on the information YOU wrote and didn't write.

    When I googled the phrase I almost fell out of my chair when I saw how many hits were listed.

    In a perfect world, people asking questions would in fact list out the steps they've taken to resolve their own issue... Doing so would eliminate some duplication of effort...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •