Windows 8 will not connect to the internet ?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 will not connect to the internet ??

Might have to try rebooting, if you didn't already.

My last resort is a system restore. Where would I look ?
    Where there's a will, there's a way

I found the place to do a restore point. But before I go ahead, Would you say that this is my best option at this point in time ?
    I may not start till tomorrow... Custer's Last Stand : ))

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
    "MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001
    1 for enable 0 for disable

"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000000
    1 for enable 0 for disable

"ProxyHttp1.1"=dword:00000001
    1 for enable 0 for disable Might also be "ProxyHttp1_1" on some machines

"ProxyServer"="" This is blank (if there's a value Delete it)
    if you are actually using a proxy server, the format is IPaddressort
    You also verified the ProxyServer setting, right?

You don't have Rocket Tab installed, do you?

Other than that, you might need to have Broni check your system like jdc2000 mentioned in post #5

Midknyte; I am going to give up on this for the evening. Try again tomorrow. I do not have Rocket Tab. As for the Proxy Server, I have unchecked it numerous times. I think rather than go through Broni's check points, I'll try a restore in the morning. I went through Broni's check points with Win7 a few months back. It took hours & hours to complete. And after all was done I still had to do a OS reinstall. Been working great ever since. Thanks Midknyte & have a good eve......

As for the Proxy Server, I have unchecked it numerous times
    No. There is one more registry setting. I bolded it in my last post. Did you set that as well?

Yes Midknyte, I did make sure that "proxyserver" was blank.

Midknyte, Train, & jdc2000... I want to thank you for your help in trying to resolve the issue of this thread topic. I would like to close this thread regarding this topic. Unfortunately, I was not able to resolve the issue.
    I went for a system restore. It went through the complete process which lasted about 45 minutes & then came up with some sort of a failed response. At the same time my DNS server (Centurylink) went down. Whether this had anything to do with the failed restoration, I do not have a clue. Anyway, the laptop is still under warranty (to my surprise) & I will either pursue that or go through a Toshiba Recovery if possible......

Toshiba recovery should work fine.
    If you make the dvd like I did for Win 7.

DNS would not affect the recovery.

What was the error message?

You might want to run a hard drive diagnostic also. Vendor warranties do not cover software. If you have hardware failure (like a hard drive), then it would be covered.

UPDATE...I had not made any recovery discs for this laptop. After several attempts to administer a recovery, I contacted Toshiba & they walked me through a recovery that put it back to factory spec. I lost a few files.. no biggee. It is back to normal & operating like new... RESOLVED..........

Ok cool.

In the future, you should make the recovery discs when you first get the computer. All of the new systems I've dealt with only have recovery partitions, unless you specifically order recovery media.

Win 7 and 8 instructions to make that DVD disk.
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/v...tentId=2753749

You are right Midknyte. I did with my previous laptops. I missed the boat on this one.. And thanks Train for the Toshiba website. I'll get busy that...........

Looks like this thread is still active so I might as well put in a couple cents worth. Regarding Windows 8... I might have to retract all the bad things I said about it. As a matter of fact, I am beginning to like it. Of course, I got a long way to go before fully understanding it. I had never really sat down & tried to use it, even tho I had it for close to a year. This recent fiasco might have been a blessing in disguise because it really got me involved in it. And I have to thank Virtual Dr. for keeping me involved. needless to say, I was so infuriated with the win8 os, I was ready to scrap it & go backwards. Thanks again, guys..
    Now I have one query: If I want to add an app to my desktop such as Note Pad, How do I do it? I can drag it from the apps window to the start window but can't seem to find a way to get it to the desktop. Thanks & have a great weekend ...

Thread Information