Windows 8 will not connect to the internet ??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 will not connect to the internet ??

Windows 8 will not connect to the internet ??

I am way over my head on this one. I have a laptop (new) that I have not used in months. Mainly because it uses Windows 8.1 which I detest. Anyway, it will not connect to the internet. The trouble shooter states that the configured proxy server is not responding. It goes on to say that Windows 8 uses a proxy server to connect to the internet & is not responding to requests right now. What the Sam Hill is all this baloney ?? Thanks for your time.............
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Yep, disable that mess

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Some malware sets that to proxie, so might want to run mbam, JRT and Adwcleaner

That wouldn't by chance be a Lenovo latop would it? If so, you should check it for the SuperFish and other pre-installed malware.

Thanks for the reply Train: That website pertained to win7 & vista, not win 8. However I went into the connections settings in IE & in the Lan settings, I unchecked proxy server, but it will not stay unchecked? In some way or other I must be connected because Windows update has been updating a total of 76 important updates which has taken over 12 hours & still installing. I cannot even use Firefox. How could something like this happen? I have not used this computer more than a couple of hours since purchased & it is almost 2years old. The last time I fired it up was about 4-5 months ago & then it worked just fine........

If the proxy server setting returns, it is time to run MalwareBytes and post the logs for Broni to analyze.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...ted-3-21-2015)

Thanks jdc200; The laptop is a Toshiba. As soon as the Win. updates are done , I'll run Malwarebytes & the other two, that Train suggested & go from there...

I ran malwarebytes & it supposedly cleared a bunch of PUP files. It did not resolve the issue.. I tried to run JRT & it was outdated & nowhere could I find an updated copy. ADWcleaner came up with zero. This windows 8 has got to be the biggest fiasco of all time! It is certainly not for the average Joe. Windows 2k & Windows Xp were the best of the litter. (My opinion)
    What I don't understand is that my network shows that I am connected to the internet. I was able to update the win8 updates. I was able to update Malwarebytes. Even some Adobe software updated. Yet I cannot get on line?? FRUSTRATING!!
    is there a system restore on this stupid system ??

Thank Midknyte; That hit the nail on the head!! What a heck of a way to resolve an issue. Ole Bill G ought to have his butt kicked for devising such a nightmare...Before tackling this, I'm gonna go & watch a movie & let my blood pressure ease )
    BTW, I finally found a current version of JRT & ran it. It deleted some stuff but never resolved the issue either..........

I wouldn't blame Bill anymore. He's been out of the game for a long time.

Adwcleaner and JRT , where I get them.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/

Win 8 garbage - - Steve Ballmer
    Gates retired in 2008

And Ballmer is out cheering for the Clippers now. At least they are still in the Playoffs.

I am a total loss as to what to do. I followed the instructions of going into regedit & going to current_users/software/micrsoft/windows/current version/internet settings/..............there was supposed to be "MigrateProxy". It doesn't exist. Does win 8 have a system restore ???? There has to be someway to defeat this

Yes, Win8.1 definitely has a System Restore.

I'm guessing you already finished the Malwarebytes and Proxy settings fixes and are on "Problem persists".
    current_users/software/micrsoft/windows/current version/internet settings/
    That should be:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\

I see MigrateProxy there.

OK, yer right. I saw it on the right side of the screen .I was looking for a folder on the left. I was able to get Firefox up & running by disabling the proxy in the network settings. As for IE still a no-go. In regedit under Proxy. the #1 is supposed to represent enabled. the #0 represents disabled. On my system Proxy Enable was set to 0 Proxy Http1.1 was set to #1. I changed it to 0 but it did not help...

Thread Information