Windows 8 will not connect to the internet ?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 8 will not connect to the internet ??

You can't just drag links from the Metro/Modern start screen to the Desktop.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...?wa=wsignin1.0

If you want the old style start menu, I'd go with Classic Shell.
    http://www.classicshell.net/

I downloaded a copy of Classic Shell but the DL says the signature is invalid or corrupt. Is it still safe to use ?
    Where there's a will, there's a way

I'm not getting that error. Which version did you download?

http://www.fosshub.com/Classic-Shell.html/

On that page, click on the following link:
    Download Classic Shell Installer (English) - 6.29 MB | version: 4.2.1 | Screenshot | MD5/SHA1

I had downloaded it to a win7 pc. I now downloaded it to this laptop win8 & was ok. and it was vers. 4.2.1 .I have another query . I use Firefox as a browser. I therefor obtain Virtual DR. and my Gmail from same. I then put the shortcuts on my desktop. Now I want to pin them to the taskbar but it will only let me pin to IE. Why is that?

You should be able to pin any app to the taskbar. I'm assuming you're still talking about the Win8 system?
    In the link I posted on post #31, it shows you how to "Pin to Taskbar".

If you've already loaded Classic Shell, go to Programs, right-click on Firefox, and click "Pin to Taskbar".

I'm running win8 here now. Some icons will pin & some wont. Items like firefox,ccleaner, vlc , avg etc will pin ok. gmail, virtual dr. network & some others will not. These are all shortcut icons. The two icons I mentioned in my last post will not pin to task bar. However, it will pin to IE which is in the taskbar . Other icons like maybe a music folder will show a zero with a red x centered, indicating a no-no. As for the ClassicShell, I'm not sure if I want to go that route yet.Want to check it out further. Thanks again Midknyte...................

gmail, virtual dr. network & some others will not.
    You mean url shortcuts? Those will pin to IE (the associated app), because they are not apps.

Other icons like maybe a music folder will show a zero with a red x centered, indicating a no-no.
    Are you trying to make a folder shortcut in the Taskbar? Again, it's not a app, so the folder would get pinned to Explorer.

Pinning apps to the Taskbar is not like the old XP Quick Launch bar. I suspect you are trying to do that. There is a way to create a "Quick Launch" type bar in Win7. It still works for Win8.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html

[QUOTE=Midknyte;1491445].Pinning apps to the Taskbar is not like the old XP Quick Launch bar. I suspect you are trying to do that. /QUOTE]

My mistake Midknyte; I had thought that the pinning process was similar to a quick launch bar. I can understand a file being pinned to maybe "file Explorer". but I don't understand why it would need to be pinned to IE which is a browser like Firefox & that the url was derived from Firefox.? Or perhaps its because Microsoft owns IE ?
    I'll get it all figured out someday [if I live long enough] Thanks Midknyte...This thread is way over due for closing....................

Thread Information