Reformat Vista and install Windows 7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reformat Vista and install Windows 7

Reformat Vista and install Windows 7

Hi Docs. I have a Gateway laptop that is probably 5-8 years old. I am running Windows Vista on it. Lately the computer is acting strangely; primarily I am having problems with Windows Update( Internet Explorer) and connecting to the internet. I'd like to erase everything on it and reinstall a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium that I have on my desktop. Can I do this easily? My laptop has a Pentium 4(?) chip, 320GB hard drive and 4GB(?) of RAM. Can I just install with a disk I have from another computer? Steve
    Steve

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Can I just install with a disk I have from another computer?
    Only if you wipe it off the other computer. And the OS on the Desktop isn't proprietary. In other words, if the OS came installed on the Desktop, then it's tied to that computer.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    Only if you wipe it off the other computer. And the OS on the Desktop isn't proprietary. In other words, if the OS came installed on the Desktop, then it's tied to that computer.
    Hi Photolady! So if I understand you I cannot use the Windows 7 disk because my desktop came with the OS installed. If that is the case, can I reinstall the Vista OS back on the laptop without issue? Also, is there an easy way to completely clear (format?) the HD on the laptop before I reinstall? Steve
    Steve

The Windows installation routine includes options to partition/repartition and|or format/reformat partition(s) before doing the actual Windows install. (They've been included for going on 14 years). Simply boot from a Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1 CD|DVD (or USB flash drive) and follow the onscreen instructions.

If the Windows CD/DVD that you are trying to use was already installed on that Gateway computer, (i.e, an OEM copy of Windows), legally it cannot be used on another computer. When the computer dies, that copy of the Windows Operating System dies with it.

If the copy of Windows you have is the "Full" or "Retail" version of Windows, then it can be reinstalled on another computer ... as long as it is deleted from the computer it was installed on first.

can I reinstall the Vista OS back on the laptop without issue? Also, is there an easy way to completely clear (format?) the HD on the laptop before I reinstall? Steve
    Yes, you can reinstall the Vista OS back on the laptop without ramifications. And SpywareDr, covered the second question, nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    If the Windows CD/DVD that you are trying to use was already installed on that Gateway computer, (i.e, an OEM copy of Windows), legally it cannot be used on another computer. When the computer dies, that copy of the Windows Operating System dies with it.

If the copy of Windows you have is the "Full" or "Retail" version of Windows, then it can be reinstalled on another computer ... as long as it is deleted from the computer it was installed on first.
    Okay, so I am going to use the same CD that came with the laptop and reinstall Vista--that will work? Thanks Doc! Steve
    Steve

One last thing...is there anthing specific I need to know before I begin this process? Is there a way my PC will automatically purge my computer so it is as new before the programs were installed?
    Steve

Photolady, not to sound naive, but what is an ISO image?
    Steve

An ISO image is a file used to recreate the files and folders on a CD or DVD, including any necessary data to make the CD or DVD bootable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

Is there a way my PC will automatically purge my computer so it is as new before the programs were installed?
    When you format the drive via the cd/dvd OS, it will remove everything and once install is complete, your computer will be as it was new, before the installation of programs.

Is there a way my PC will automatically purge my computer so it is as new before the programs were installed?
    That's known as a "Clean" or "Custom" install.
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/24...all-vista.html

Thank you Docs! You all are a wealth of information. I will perform a "clean" install! Steve
    Steve

Hi Docs. I just recovered my laptop from three disks I created when I bought it in 2009. My laptop is now as it was new. However I am still having the same problem; I cannot connect to the internet. My wireless was found and installed without any problems, but I need to connect to the internet to download a new browser and especially to download an antivirus program. When I click on IE it finds the website but hangs waiting for a reply. I don't want to buy a new operating system and I don't want to spend lots of money right now if I can help it. Am I missing something I should know about? The laptop is a 2009 Gateway. Steve
    Steve

Thread Information