Windows 8.1 Explorer.exe Crashes

Thread: Windows 8.1 Explorer.exe Crashes

Windows 8.1 Explorer.exe Crashes

Hello,
    I am helping a friend with his Windows 8.1 desktop. When he turns it on after logon it gets an Explorer.exe Application Error about the referenced memory could not be written. Then the screen is black. If we start Task Manager and Run Explorer.exe as administrator he desktop will come up. At first everything was OK after that. Now when we do that we can't get online. 90% of the services are stopped and we can hardly do anything. I downloaded several spyware apps to a flash drive and ran them but couldn't update the definitions since we have to internet access. These were ADWCleaner, Rogue Killer, Malwarebytes, RKill and Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit. They found a few things and removed them but it didn't seem like anything major. The system has not gotten any better. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next. Currently I have his hard drive pulled out and am copying off his data before trying anything else.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Did you run memory and hard drive diags? Did you look at Event Viewer for errors?

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a shot. I did check the hard drive for errors and it didn't find any bad blocks. Just some corrupt files. I have not run memtest86 yet but I was planning on doing that.
    Thanks

Which HD diag did you run? Seatools?

Bad memory can cause file corruption, so it's worth a shot.

It's best to check out the hardware first, before you spend too much time on software. Good luck.

Thread Information