Windows Server 2008 Foundation Unable to Check license compliance

Thread: Windows Server 2008 Foundation Unable to Check license compliance

Windows Server 2008 Foundation Unable to Check license compliance

Hello,
    We have a Windows 2008 Foundation Edition Server that has been installed for several years with no problems. We also have an old Server 2003 that is still running solely for the purpose of these 15 year old pallet tagging guns that nobody knows how to reprogram. Lately the Server 2008 says "The server did not finish checking the license compliance. If the server is joined to a domain, make sure that the server can connect to a domain controller. * For more info, click help.
    This is generally accompanied by another message:
    *If the license compliance check cannot be completed, the server will automatically shut down in 5d 23h 0 min.
    I'm not sure what caused this or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Found this when I googled "the server did not finish checking the license compliance foundation"
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/...9/SLN249546/EN

Are the servers on a domain or not? If so, which server is the DC?

We do have a domain. I thought the new server was the DC. I ran dcpromo when I set it all up. How do I tell which one the domain thinks is the domain controller? I found that article too but I am a bit leary to remove the server from the domain. I don't want to make the situation worse.
    Thanks

Try this from a cmd prompt:
    echo %LOGONSERVER%

the command returns the name of the server I am on. The Server 2008 Foundation Edition server.

So that server is the DC? Did you confirm that?

I don't see where the article says to remove the server from the domain. It says to check DNS and Event Viewer.

Sorry, but I don't have a setup like that to test with.

I was trying to upload some screen shots of the recurring errors but it wasn't letting me. One says The processing of group policy failed. Windows could not authenticate to the active directory service on a domain controller.

The other message was much longer.
    It starts out with a Kerberos client error KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED from the server.....

I can try again to post screenshots if you need more information.
    Thanks for the help.

It sounds like you have bigger issues than the Foundation license.

Are you the domain admin? If not, you should check them him/her.

The first thing to fix would probably be the AD service. The server would need to communicate with the DC and authenticate before it could process the domain group policy, so that's probably why you'd get the GP error.

Thread Information