Windows 8.1 tablet lost wifi network

Thread: Windows 8.1 tablet lost wifi network

Windows 8.1 tablet lost wifi network

This is more of a preventative inquiry rather than a current issue because it fixed itself after about 24 hours.

My ASUS 8.1 tablet suddenly lost the ability to connect with one of my two home wifi networks (dept of redundancy dept ) It worked ok for months then the other day it just wouldn't connect. It was able to connect to my "B" network but every time I tried to switch back to "A" .. no go. Both are secured g/n WPA2. Signal strength is always good from everywhere in my home.

My Android tablet and my cell phone were both able to connect to the "A" network in question at the time so it was operational. I rebooted the router and all the other components a number of times but that made no difference. Network diagnostics from within Windows tablet showed nothing useful except a message that there was no or limited connectivity.
    It's been a few days and it's continued to be fine. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Not sure if this applies, but there is supposed to be an optional update released on 04/21/15.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/291...s-tuesday.html

This one specifically refers to wifi issues with Cherry Trail CPUs.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3033446

Heh, had me a little excited there for a second but my tablet CPU is the Atom Z2760 Cloverview or as I prefer to call it, Molasses.

thanks tho

Ah rats. Other than that, maybe check if Asus has a firmware update.

Yeah, I updated the firmware when I got it last year. There are no new ones though and ASUS is out of the tablet biz so I suspect what I have is what it will always be.

What about the router firmware?

Good question. I've had extremely bad experiences with any kind of soft/hardware updates on this tablet. I've been considering looking to see if there's one but the tablet has been temp bricked twice already doing anything but the most important security updates causing me to reset to a factory state both times so I hesitate to do much more than absolutely necessary.

I've been considering it though. I haven't looked to see if there are any updates in case I get tempted because I know that if I find there is one I'll probably find it irresistible LOL.

Even updating the ASUS update utility broke it. I call my CPU Molasses and my Tablet Le Citron. Fortunately it's not used for any mission critical tasks... mostly for watching streaming sports when I'm not at home and doing google searches while I watch TV at home.

I'm just fortunate I got it at a really good price otherwise I'd be seriously p!ssed. It did help me learn about Win 8 hands on and find out I hate that too. My 80 dollar Hisense/Android 7" tablet is a far superior product. So is my Samsung smart phone.

Actually after rereading your previous suggestion I realize I misread it the first time. I was thinking wireless adapter chip and not the router.

The router in question definitely does not have any firmware updates available. It did prompt me to recheck for any driver updates for the adapter but there aren't any new ones for that either.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Yeah, I updated the firmware when I got it last year. There are no new ones though and ASUS is out of the tablet biz so I suspect what I have is what it will always be.
    Asus is not out of the tablet business, they are out of the windows rt business. Asus still has the Asus vivotab 8 and 10.1, they also have the Asus transformer book 10.1.

Oh that's good. I thought I'd read otherwise. At least there will be some support for my clunker for a while (unless I do what I really want and use it for skeet practice.)

Note that the new Intel Braytrail and, more recently the Cherry Trail Atom processors are a life saver for windows tablets. Baytrail has twice the cpu and 4 times the gpu performance of the previous genration Atoms Cloverton. Cherry trail adds another 50% to the Atom performance.

I have a Dell Venue 8 pro tablets and the performance has nothing in common with the old netbooks of 3 or 4 years ago.

Just happened to notice the latest price of my tablet at newegg.ca..

I guess I really did get a good deal. If anyone is interested I'll sell it for half that advertised price (and I'll pay for shipping too!)...

BARGAIN TIME!

Thread Information