VLC

Thread: VLC

VLC

What ho,

As usual, when I attempt to up-grade anything, all sorts of other issues arise. Upgraded VLC from 2.1 to 2.2, only to find that it no longer plays DVD. The disk spins, there is a lot of searching but zilch on the screen.

Went back to 2.1, which I had thought was working, but also no DVD. Have also been trying to save YouTube videos (Media/ Open Network Stream/ paste the URL / Play) but nothing, just the initial image flashes on-screen.

On both counts, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

Could be that some file type associations and actions got changed when you upgraded. Try using system restore to go back to a point just before you upgraded and see if that helps.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I have checked file associations and they all seem fine. Because I also up-graded (mistake) K-Lite codecs, that installed the latest version of MPC-HC. Now what happens. If I select any mp4 file from My docs, hit VLC and it plays. But if I open VLC and use Media/open file/ etc, it does not play.

Have tried that with the DVD and all I get is a high speed turning disk; VLC is blank.

So I restored the whole of the OS from an image that I took about one month ago when I thought that everything was fine. MPC-HC is now back to MPC (vanilla) but if I open it and select DVD, again, there is a lot of disk thrashing and the video runs in an unwatchable stuttery fashion.

I have no idea what is going on, because from the best of my memory, everything was running smoothly.

Even POT player is doing a lot of head thrashing and locks up the computer. And VLC does not close; the icon remains in the task bar and I have to Cnt/Alt/Del to close it.

All very strange!
    Last edited by Rex A. Butcher; April 15th, 2015 at 09:34 AM.

Try using Windows default WMPlayer to view a DVD. If that fails too it could be a hardware issue with the DVD drive itself. How old is it? has it ever been cleaned?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Have to admit that I totally detest WMP. It is too designed for its own good and I find it unintuitive as to how to play a DVD or any other media file. However, the DVD does play just fine, albeit not in full screen. It also plays with PowerDVD.

The reason that I sometimes watch a DVD with VLC is that for reasons I do not understand, VLC give greater volume. The DVD player is quite old but I do clean it every so often. Hardware wise, I don't' believe there is an issue.

The reason that I sometimes watch a DVD with VLC is that for reasons I do not understand, VLC give greater volume
    VLC can amplify the volume over 100%. Default is 125%, but you can increase that if you want.

Go to Tools - Preferences
    Choose Show settings - All
    Under Interface, expand Main interfaces
    Choose Qt
    Set Maximum Volume Displayed to 150 (Default 125)
    Click Save
    Restart VLC

I know; didn't make myself clear. VLC give more volume with some DVDs than PowerDVD or Media Player Classic, and that is not by winding the vol. up, it just replays with greater volume.

That is one reason that i want VLC to play DVD's which at the moment, it will not do.

Thread Information