HP Envy Graphic Card

Thread: HP Envy Graphic Card

Unhappy HP Envy Graphic Card

I do not know if this the proper forum for this matter,but I appreciate your help.

We have an HP Envy Laptop,and lately we have been having serious issues with the graphic card,specially when we try to stream movies to our TV. It works sometimes,but all of a sudden the next day,the graphic card disapears from Device Manager,and we have to install it again.We have updated the drivers,but still having the same problem.Looking in Device Manager,I noticed this Laptop has two graphic cards, one is an Intel(R) HD,and the other one is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650.The card we having problems with is the ATI card.
    I have been reading the HP support sites,and apparently this is a common problem with this line of Laptops,and the proposed solutions are very confusing,since it has something to do with a card switching mechanism.
    Maybe you guys,migth had come across a simpler solution to this matter.
    Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

"COGITO ERGO SUM"

From what I have seen of the info, there is a BIOS setting on some Envy models that allows switching between Fixed and Dynamic switching between the adapters. Also, in some cases, the setting can be saved for specific applications. This may or may not solve your issue. You might also want to see if there is a BIOS update for your model. It would help if you posted the exact model number of your Envy (look on the sticker(s)).

Links:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...1727181/page/2

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02731962

Thank you for your prompt reply. The Laptop Model is A ENVY 14 Notebook. I tried to update the Bios(version F 26 in Notebook),but I was told,there was not an update for this model. I also have tried to work with the swichtable settings for the two graphic cards,as per HP forum,but again,I could not find these settings on this Laptop. I do not know,if I have to install the Catalyst software,because this one might have a graphic card switch setting.
    This Notebook has two ghaphic cards, one is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650,and the other one is an Intel (R) HD Graphics.

"COGITO ERGO SUM"

If you do not have the BIOS options needed and there is no BIOS update available, then your only other option is to see if you have the latest Windows drivers for both adapters. Check for updates on those. (Review the links I posted to see how to find your EXACT model number (not Envy 14), use that to locate the latest driver software.) You will know if you have the Catalyst Control Center installed as the window for the settings will have that in the title. If you can't get a version of the Catalyst Control Center for that model, then you are likely out of luck.

Thank you.I will follow your reccomendations. I checked for the proper Notebook model,and it is a HP ENVY 14-121NR,and it does not have the Catalyst Control Center installed,should I Find one for this model,should I install it and see if I could set up the graphic card switch setting?.Please advise.
    Take Care!

"COGITO ERGO SUM"

Thread Information