New Photo Printer Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Photo Printer Advice

I went to the largest Staples in my area to actually see the printers and get some more advice. The Epson 1430 is BIG which is a major plus. It's ink cartridges are about 175% the cost of most. I guess quality costs. Unfortunately I could not do a test print on it. If it truly blew me out of my socks I would have gotten it.

The sales person said the 1430 Artisan is the last of dying breed. A great budget photo printer. He said Epson is now selling out just like Canon.

The Epson XP-820 printed a photo about the same as my old Canon Pixma. It's hard to tell from just one 8.5x11 photo. It printed about 200% faster than my Canon. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

He was unable to answer my scanning questions. So I'm going off what people here have said.

So it's the XP-820! After speaking with many other people they too have said that they use an all in one for general printing and a separate photo printer for better special projects. Hence I may hang on to the XP-820 even if it doesn't print photos the best. But it must at least scan well.

The salesperson said that Epson's Ultra Premium Photo paper which is about .90 a sheet will work much better than my Canon paper. I'll have to buy some to truly compare with the 820.

I'll pick up the 820 at work on Thursday so I won't be able to post back with my final review until the weekend.

The 1430 will be a luxury I cannot afford right now but will start saving up for.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    On paper, I prefer Redriver. Found here:

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/

And do most of my photographer friends.

I'll stick with my $18 per 150 sheet packages.

You, Train, print snapshots. I, on the other hand print photographs, so prefer better quality paper. LOL

Ain't had a complaint yet.

Yeah, well....... roflmao

Actually, I don't have an inkjet printer anymore. I have them printed professionally.

Sorry about my late response I've been busy.

I spent $130 on the Epson XP 820 and I got my money's worth. The things I don't like about it I already knew such as SMALL print tray and NO practical rear loading. It's also surprisingly loud while printing and scanning. I'd already been warned about this and it doesn't bother me it's just odd how loud it is.

Easy set up.

Scanning, well its scanning DPI options jump from 500, 600, 1200 but unlike my only Canon Pixma it actually scans the entire plate at 1200 DPI and not just a postage stamp sizes. It's fast too even at 1200 DPI.

But how does it print photos? That was the big question for me. I purchased Epson Ultra Premium photo paper .90c as sheet to compare with my big stack of Canon Photo Plus .60c a sheet paper and couldn't tell ANY difference.

I must admit to liking my old Canon Pixma's photo printing better. The reviews had praised Epson's photo printing as giving better tones of grey and shadows, and it does, but the color itself isn't as good as the Pixma. Pixma would always print over saturated colors, no problem, I'd just compensate by lowering the saturation accordingly. On Epson I must boost the saturation and it's still not as good.

Since photo printing is a matter of opinion and taste I suspect I might very well be better off investing in Canon's $300 photo printer rather than Epson's 1430 model even though Epson got better reviews. It's a shame I can't test one out. I'm fine with spending more money but I want to see the results.

The 850 would have printed the colors better. More cartridges, the better the color.

Thread Information