Windows Mail issue

Thread: Windows Mail issue

Windows Mail issue

My wifes Dell laptop running Vista and it's email client Windows Mail will not work with a change in our ISP email server. She has used the Windows Mail since the computer was new. Getting a little bit old, and nearly time to replace. But for now I'd like to fix this issue. Our ISP recently changed it's email server. Now Windows Mail will not work with the POP account settings. I was on the phone for a couple hours trying to resolve this with the email tech. Only to conclude that "something" in the Windows Mail program is stopping it from working. PITA. The techs best advice was to download and begin using a different email client software.

Is there any better work around? Is this correct? Hard to believe that Windows Mail worked fine on the previous server as a POP account and now with a different server it won't.

But if this is correct, how can I install a new mail client and import all of her current files and folders? She has used it for years and has it set up as she wants it, not happy about the thought of having to start over.

As an aside to this. Our ISP did not previously support IMAP. They now do. And I would like to change her account from POP to IMAP.

I know Vista is old and so is Windows Mail. Just not sure of the best way to resolve an issue that has been forced on us. Maybe WM can be updated?
    This thing has more bugs than a big city flop house.

What ISP are you using?

I use Walnutel.net as my ISP. They have just changed their email to IPSWITCH Email. Walnutel is a telco out of Walnut, Iowa. They have ran fibre optic throughout most of the county and we were lucky enough to be able to get it. Although it is a relatively small company, as compared to Cox and others, it is the best we can get out in the country of Iowa.

As an aside to this. Our ISP did not previously support IMAP. They now do. And I would like to change her account from POP to IMAP.
    So did you get their IMAP server info?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tart-to-finish

Yes I have the IMAP settings. I have Outlook configured as IMAP and working on my Win 8.1 laptop, as well as my Win 7 desktop with Outlook Express (shop computer.) The Vista with Windows Mail is the only trouble maker.

Hmm Strange. So you removed the POP3 settings and added the IMAP settings on the Vista machine?

Sorry, I don't have a Vista system to test with.

Sorry I may have mislead a bit. As it stands I am unable to get the email to work as a POP3 mail with the new email server. Keeping the account as a POP would be best, but don't seem likely.

I am not certain I can simply change the POP account over to IMAP and have it work as expected. My biggest issue is that I do not want to loose the files and folders structure that she has and uses in her email now.

I'm pretty certain that the IMAP settings will work. I have changed my computers to IMAP, but now have two separate sets of folders. One set from the old POP account and now a new set from the IMAP. On my computer I can deal with it. Not so sure about my wife.

So maybe the real question is. If I was to create a new email with the same name, only an IMAP. Could I then import her existing data and have it work?

Or is there a known issue with Windows Mail in Vista and some email servers? POP3 or IMAP?

Windows Live Mail should work with the majority of e-mail servers. However, your ISP does not seem to have any online information on how to set up their e-mail in Windows Live Mail. My advice would be to call their so-called "tech support" number and try to get another person who has a clue. You may have to call more than once or escalate the call to a supevisor or higher level tech support person if you are still having problems. They claim it will work with Outlook, so it should work with Live Mail as well.

Thread Information