Saving new settings

Thread: Saving new settings

Saving new settings

Well, finally got the win 8.1, Outlook Live email to give with a sound when the arrival of new email. But, when I reboot the system, I seem to lose the settings, and have to fumble my way through setting the sound settings again. How do I make the new settings permanent, so that on each reboot, I don't have to reset, or try resetting them again. Much thanks, Jim S.
    Jim S.

Post the exact procedure that you use to set up the notification sound. Once we have that, there may )or may not) be a way to amke it permanent. Alternatively, there may be a way to automatically set it up when you boot.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Post the exact procedure that you use to set up the notification sound. Once we have that, there may )or may not) be a way to amke it permanent. Alternatively, there may be a way to automatically set it up when you boot.
    Using item in How to Change the New Mail Sound in Outlook, Windows Mail and Outlook Express. Select Control Panel from the Start Menu (with the tiles displayed), Double click Sounds and Audio Devices; go to Sounds tab; Go to the sound tab; Highlight New Mail Notifications in the Program Events list; Select a sound from the Sound from the Sounds list, or use the Browse button to find a sound not in the list; Click Ok.
    Also: Open the Mail menu; click on Options; Click the Read tab; Click on Play Sound When New Messages Arrive box to select it. Click Apply and then click Ok. To assign a specific sound file to be played when new mail arrives, follow these steps; Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel; In Control Panel, double click sounds; in the event box, click Next Mail Notification; in the Name Box in the Sound area, click the sound file you want to use for new mail notification; Click Apply, and the click Ok. I've worked with both of these, and somehow am able to engage the sound when new emails arrive, but not sure how it all works. But, now it's working, just disappears when I reboot the computer. I've made a Restore Point, with the feature enabled, just n case, but that's the long way home. Again, thanks. Jim S.
    Jim S.

When you lose the notification sound and re-apply the settings, which of the settings (Control Panel, Mail applicartion etc.) are changed back and do not have the values you set them to previously? For example, is the "Play a Sound when New Messages arrive" check box unchecked?

When I go to sounds, open, there is nothing entitled: Mail application, etc. There are two mail features shown in the "sound" folder. I've clicked and OKd on both, and tested the sound both should make. Working now, so long as I don't shutdown the computer, reboot. A tad confused at this point, as I'm not certain what works. When I enter Control Panel, open it, I see on the Sound folder displayed, no reference to emails. j
    Jim S.

So, the settings for Sounds in Control Panel are not being saved? If we can locate exactly what settings are not being saved, there may be a way to make them stick.

Also, are you using a custom file for the notification sound? If yes, are there any characters in the file name other than letters and numbers? If so, you may have to remove those in order to get the settings to save.

No third party sounds

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    So, the settings for Sounds in Control Panel are not being saved? If we can locate exactly what settings are not being saved, there may be a way to make them stick.

Also, are you using a custom file for the notification sound? If yes, are there any characters in the file name other than letters and numbers? If so, you may have to remove those in order to get the settings to save.
    No, not that I know. Just using sounds provided by the onboard utility. j Like I mentioned, seems I can get the sounds on email arrival, as it just did on your email to me, but it's a matter of getting those settings to remain in effect, even after I reboot. That's the rub! j
    Jim S.

Well, I had to do a malware scan, and had to reboot. No other way. When the system came back up, checked email, fearing the worst, and by gollly, for some reason, the sound changes held, and the system is functioning with the sound for inbox emails. Not sure how it all happened, but I'm satisfied, and will let well enough alone,since I don[t have to juggle around trying to have the system remember the sound settings. Thanks for the help, and I'll keep you posted. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Thread Information