Printer printing in pale grey instead of black

Thread: Printer printing in pale grey instead of black

Printer printing in pale grey instead of black

Windows 7
    HP psc1317
    A while ago (I think it was when I got a new PC) my printer started printing in pale grey instead of black. Thinking it needed a new cartridge I got one and installed it but it made no difference so I thought 'I wonder if it's because I've changed PCs.' I still had my old PC (which runs on XP) so I connected it up and it printed out correctly in black. Hence, it wasn't the printer at fault. So I connected up my new PC and I think I might have reinstalled the printer driver. Anyway the printer printed out correctly. Now, after not using the printer for a couple of weeks, I've printed something and it's come out in pale grey again. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be. Thanks.

It sounds like a driver setting may have changed somehow. What printer make and model are you using? Have you tried a System Restore to a point when the prionter was working OK? Have you tried reinstalling the printer driver again?

Thanks for responding. Since my original post I've downloaded the latest driver for my printer and that's (almost) worked ie. it's now printing out in black but for some reason the last character in each line is now being printed out feint. Also, the bottom half of characters that go below the line (such as "y" and "g") is coming out feint as well(?) - which is very puzzling.

That is an inkjet printer. Have you tried the head cleaning procedure for it? That is definitely a strange issue.

Yes, it is an inkjet printer but I didn't know that there was a head cleaning procedure for it. I've been through the Troubleshooting guide on the HP site but I didn't come across it. Are you able to give me any more info on that or a link? Thanks.

I have not found a link specifically for that. However, you can download the manual for the printer. If there is such a procedure, it should be described in that.

Ok, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I have not found a link specifically for that. However, you can download the manual for the printer. If there is such a procedure, it should be described in that.
    Just an update. In the manual it gives instructions for manually cleaning the contacts but tells you not to clean the nozzles. So I cleaned the contacts but it's made no difference. It's not too bad - at least now printing out in black, just slightly indistinct right at the end of a line of text and the bottom half of "y"s and "g"s as mentioned above. I can live with it and I guess it might even sort itself out when I install a new b&w cartridge. In the last week I was just doing a test page so I put a piece of paper in that was already printed on one side not realizing that it had a staple in but I don't suppose this will have caused the problem(?) Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the update. A new black cartridge might correct the issue if the printhead is integrated. This is just one reason why I only purchase and use laser printers for non-photo quality printing.

Thanks for your reply, although I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "if the printhead is integrated."

Print head is a part of the cartridge.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Thread Information