[RESOLVED] Outlook 2010 issues after Win7 Updates

Thread: [RESOLVED] Outlook 2010 issues after Win7 Updates

Resolved [RESOLVED] Outlook 2010 issues after Win7 Updates

We have recently had a mass of updates to Windows 7 on 3 computers, my homebuilt PC, my Lenovo laptop, and my wife's Acer netbook. Following the 26 or so updates, our email client Outlook 2010 has had numerous problems with Send/Receive errors. Basically, we do send and receive emails OK, but the Send/Receive process always ends with Send/receive error; this is shown as "0x800CCC0B".

I have Googled this error code and run through countless ways of resolving the problem, but most are old solutions not relating to anything after Office 2003, and are wholly ineffectual. Even the Microsoft "Fixit" help screen ends with a message saying it is not compatible with my version of Office.

After the send/receive error, the CPUs on all the computers are also running at 100%, although to be fair the processing does not seem to be slowed down at all. Restarting the computers resolves this.

I have deleted the email account, changed the .pst database to start a new one with a brand new account using the same login details, and the problem is still there.

I have also tried to go back to a previous Restore point, before the updates, but after a great deal of waiting and processing, I get a message saying that it cannot be restored back.

Any ideas please, this is doing my head in.

What does the whole error message say? Does it look like:

"Error Message: An unknown error has occurred. Account: ' email@yourdomain.com', Server: 'mail.yourdomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B"
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

No, I took a screen dump of the message which reads: "! Task 'email@yourdomain.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0B): 'Unkown Error 0x800CCC0B' "

It seems the whole of Outlook is behaving oddly; when it does its send/receive, it says "Receiving (say) 10 of 30" but only about 4 messages come in. It then spends ages wading through the remainder of the messages (which don't appear to exist) before timing out and producing an error. I know the messages don't exist because only 4 are received on my Android phone using the same email server.

Thanks for your interest and help!

Did you double check the account settings against what your ISP says the settings should be?

My first instinct was to call my ISP to do just that, but my email address/domain is O2, who were taken over by Sky. So I called Sky who very helpfully said that they couldn't help me as I still had an O2 account. I pointed out that I paid my monthly broadband charge to them and I expect some help, but they were completely useless. O2 of course, were unable to help. I have already arranged to change my broadband account to Plusnet, and Sky can go and take a running jump, frankly.
    But I don't think the incoming and outgoing settings are the problem, as these have been the same for years. I also receive emails from my O2 account with no problem on my Android phone and tablet using these settings, and I can still receive emails on Outlook - just with errors and the result that my CPU leaps up to 100% usage.

For what it's worth, this problem has now gone away following a further Windows 7 update. I wasn't instantaneous, and involved quite a few false starts with Outlook misbehaving. Many of the rules I set in Outlook threw up errors, and weirdly there were loads of very old rules which I deleted ages ago. After deleting all the rules and a closing and opening Outlook a few times on each machine, it has all settled down now and none are returning Send/Receive errors - and CPU usage has returned to normal on the PC and laptops.
    I made no changes to the settings, or anything else for that matter, so I can only assume that this was a problem at the ISP end, or a problem with the Microsoft updates. All very frustrating and annoying, especially with not knowing the original cause.

Thread Information