Win 8.1 Hard Drive Image

Thread: Win 8.1 Hard Drive Image

Win 8.1 Hard Drive Image

Hi: Just finished doing hard drive image in 8.1 to ext. drive. When completed the data shows that 27 GBs moved to ext. hard drive. When I check C:\ properties it shows there are 36.4 GBs on the drive. Concerned that maybe docs., pics., music., files did not copy with the image to the ext. hard drive. Do these file types have to be copied separately???? Win 7 made this image backup much easier, it seems. Thanks, Jim S.
    Jim S.

What app did you use? Many backup apps will exclude files like the pagefile and hibernation file.

You should always make a separate backup for data. In fact, I usually create a separate partition for data. Putting data in your image makes it take longer to create/restore images. Plus it's more difficult to restore just the data from an image file.

I used the onboard backup image utility on 8.1, Search, File History, select backup image. What's the best way to backup the docs., pics, music, etc. items in 8.1? Thanks for the post. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Oh, you used Windows Backup to create a system image. It's a hassle to try and recover individual files with that.

What's the best way to backup the docs., pics, music, etc. items in 8.1?
    Just copy them to an external drive. Better yet, MULTIPLE external drives. Then you can just drag and drop from the external to recover the files.

Thread Information