Sign On Problem
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sign On Problem

Sign On Problem

I have a H P All in One with the original H P keyboard that came with computer. The problem started this afternoon.....when I turn computer on it boots up to the log on screen but when I try type my password it is like the keyboard if frozen. Get the little blinking curser but nothing happens when I type. The way I am getting around it is to unplug keyboard from back of computer and re-plug it then it works fine. No other problems with keyboard. When I do a RE START no problem can type password it just happens on a I guess you call it cold start up. Any ideas what may be going on? Thanks.....

Try another USB, if that does not work, $15 got me a new kb.

I tried another USB port....same thing. I'll be more then happy to buy/try another keyboard but just don't understand if it is the keyboard why is it working for sign in on a re-start and not having problems with it only for start up. Any ideas please?

Probably a broken wire in the tail. Anyway my experience with that type of problem.

Borrow a kb for test purposes and see if that fixes the problem.

Okay, will do and post back tomorrow. Thank you very much!

A new $20 keyboard did the trick! I am really surprised......would have swore it was something in Windows. In the process of trying to resolve this I managed to do that RUN netplwiz and by-pass my having to sign in with my password which is nice for me as I am the only person using the computer. BUT the problem with the old keyboard continued.....the first time I would try to type something after a cold boot it would not type, would have to unplug and re-plug then it would work fine. All in all, problem resolved and I learned a few things in the process. Thank you for your help

The first time that happens, either mouse or kb, we thought like you did too.

You are Welcome.

It is right back at it.....turned computer off and back on and same thing, had to unplug re-plug kb for it to type.

You could try USBDeview. Delete all Keyboards found and reboot.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I downloaded USBDeview, ran it and it showed 6 keyboards. Disconnected all of them, rebooted and still could not type until I unplug re-plugged. Ran the usbdeview again and this time it showed 3 keyboards, 2 were HID and 1 was unknown. Any more help ideas? But please be aware I am a VERY senior citizen and you may have to walk me through it if it is too complicated. THANKS

The system I am currently on shows 2 HID Keyboard Devices in Device Manager. In your case, the "Unknown" keyboard could be the issue. You can try removing the "Unknown" keyboard in Device Manager. Make sure that you click View, Show Hidden Devices whe you run Device Manager.

In the device manager, show hidden devices, it shows 6 keyboards all HID no unknown.

Remove ALL keyboards frmo Device Manager, reboot, see what happens.

okay

Uninstalled all of them. Had to re-start computer for it to take effect. When it re-started could type (always could with a re-start). SHUT DOWN and re-started would not type had to unplug/re-plug then it would type.

Thread Information