Updating VERY slow and unreliable.

Thread: Updating VERY slow and unreliable.

Updating VERY slow and unreliable.

My ASUS 8.1 tablet

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834230826

Has got to be the slowest computer I've ever seen for updates. It's always been that way since I bought it but the latest offer of 32 updates took the better part of 5.5 hours to complete. 20 minutes to search for new updates, 45 minutes to download and over 4 hours to install. The only update is seems to get over with quickly is the Defender data files each day but they're small and usually appear alone.

Now, it's not the speediest tablet in any case but during the update the TIworker process, which does the bulk of the installing work, was only using about 35% of available CPU cycles and there was approx 1Gig of free memory available of 2G so I don't see the bottleneck being there. I though perhaps read/write to disk was unusually slow but that seems ok too I think (see attached pic).

I know many people complained about how slow it was to update from 8 to 8.1 on their various tablets/notebooks and it was very slow for me too (3 hours) but I am unable to find any relevant info on periodic Windows update slowness doing Google searches.

Worth mentioning is at one point a month after I bought this snail updates stopped working completely even after trying all MS supplied advice and hotfixes so I reinstalled from scratch to fix that annoyance so they now do in fact work just e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y slowly.

Ideas?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks doc.. I had already found links about TIworker and what it's supposed to do but what I'd like to try and find out is why it takes soooo looooong to do it on my tablet

Also, it was running system maintenance and troubleshooter during my first experience with slow updates before I had to reinstall Windows that actually totally broke it completely so I don't want to go that route again. The trouble shooter happily told me everything was fixed but it was far worse afterwards than before I ran it... not only was not updating any longer but Windows lost all data and records of my previous dozens and dozens of updates and insisted I'd never even tried to do an update. It also wiped my restore points so that wasn't an option either.

I have never before experienced the feeling of wanting to use a computer as a clay pigeon. Even my $80, 7" Android tablet outperforms this mini boat anchor without even sweating. I'm just happy I didn't pay full price for it although now I see why it was on sale and ASUS is getting out of the tablet business LOL.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information