Cable Box not needed?

Thread: Cable Box not needed?

Question Cable Box not needed?

Not that it's a concern but in my area if you don't have a cable box , hd box you will get no cable tv.

I was told in some areas in CA, that is not the case, coaxial is still direct to tv. Have they just not gone strictly digital?

I thought this was a done deal everyone had to have a digital box now?

Just curious

If your TV has the new type of digital tuner, then it is possible for a cable company to supply a compatible signal that will allow you to use the tuner you paid for to access the channels. However, most cable companies want more money and they want you to pay for each device you connect, so they scramble all channels and make you pay for their tuner boxes, which are often of inferior quality and reliability. This also makes it impossible to set up unattended recording of shows you will not be at home to watch when they are originally aired. The cable company gets even more money to allow you to set up a DVR that they sell you to do this. Eventually, cable companies will go the way of the 56K modem if they don't change their business model.

Well aware, just Nth of San Diego, some one has NEVER had a set top box until they switched to satellite a week ago, not newer tvs either, regardless here, if i don't have an hd box no tv, If tv's can receive that signal there the FCC and or cable co is not doing as they said was required, unless it varies by region? Government

Varies by cable company area too. years ago they switched to where everyone had to have the box. What ever that HD tv is caused it.

The signals are digital going into your encrypted and personally assigned cable box as opposed to analog which they used to be. Digital allows a number of things.. higher quality signal and many more channels. Also the boxes are remotely administered and maintained so you can change your cable station choices/packages at will and get PPV events/movies too.

It also prevents people from using simple splitters from stealing cable signals from neighbors and makes each customer buy a box for each TV in the home too. It's almost win/win but the win for the consumer is also more expensive.

But again as said above IPTV will take over most cable broadcasting soon. I tried it here in Toronto but it's not yet ready for prime time and have switched back for now.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

It depends on the box. If it feels warm when it is exposed to open air, then it will likely overheat in an enclosed space. The boxes are usually as cheaply made as the cable company can get. The ones I have are hot enough to cook dinner on even when exposed. I have them in laptop cooling stands with fans, and I still don't expect them to last too long. You might be better off mounting the box on the wall behind the TV (or on the TV mount).

Mine uses 35 watts even when turned off. Gets awful warm too.

Thread Information