new graphics card with older monitor

Thread: new graphics card with older monitor

new graphics card with older monitor

I have an HP Pavilion HPE Series (approx. 3.5 yrs old),
    with Windows 7 as the operating system.
    I was using it with an even older monitor, an HP w2338h
    (approx. 7.5 yrs old), which I can connect with a VGA to DVI adapter.
    Recently, I decided to upgrade my graphics card. I bought a Radeon R7 260X, which meant I also needed to upgrade my power supply, so I also got a Thermaltake TR2 (to support the new graphics card).
    I think I put everything back together correctly, but now I get a message on the monitor saying no video input signal.
    Is it just that the monitor is simply too old?
    Please advise.
    Thank you!

The exact model number of your computer would help. Did it have onboard video? If so, did you try plugging the monitor into that? You might need to set the PCIe card as the primary video instead of onboard.

Are you sure that you plugged in the 6-pin power plug into the video card? Might be obvious, but I gotta ask.

VGA to DVI adapter.
    You mean DVI on the computer to VGA on the monitor, right? In that case, it's a DVI to VGA adapter.

Model No: h8-1214
    Sorry, I have no idea what "onboard video" is. Is there a way for me to check to see if I have it?
    Yes, the 6 pin power cord was plugged into the new video card.
    And yes, sorry, I probably accidentally reversed the order of the acronyms when referencing the adapter. The computer has a DVI connector, and the monitor cable has a VGA connector.
    The new graphics card has two ports on it. The instructions that came with it said only to use the first port when connecting a VGA monitor, the second port is for digital only...so I am connecting to port 1.
    Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind investing in a new monitor if necessary. It's much better than getting a whole new system...
    Thank you!

Onboard video is built into the motherboard.

From the h8-1214 specs, it came with an HD7450 PCIe card. Did you try reinstalling the old video card?

If it doesn't boot with the old video card, double-check the connections from the power supply to the motherboard (The 24pin and 4pin).

I don't think you need a new monitor yet.

No, I have not undone any of my changes yet. Are you saying that's what I have to do to get it working again?
    If I remove the new video card and put the old one back, do I need to do the same with the power supply unit?
    Sorry, I am really just an amateur here. The last time I changed a video card, it was probably 2009. The whole operation was much simpler back then.
    You basically just swapped out the old card with the new one, rebooted, and then you were good to go.
    I was naïve in thinking it would be that easy this time around.

Because you replaced 2 parts at the same time, it's possible that either the video card or the PSU is the problem.

If I remove the new video card and put the old one back, do I need to do the same with the power supply unit?
    No. The point was to test that the system works with the new PSU. You need to isolate the suspects.

OK, I removed the new video card, and reinstalled my old one. My system is now back on and appears to be running normally. So that means it is the card and not the PSU right? What's the next step?
    Thank you...

Yes, the video card.

Did you plug in both 6 pin connectors?
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...hmarks,10.html

System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 221W
    Which means a 500 watt power supply

Which model of Thermaltake TR2 did you get?

The R260X should only have 1 6pin. The 270X has 2 6pins and the 280X has 1 6pin and 1 8pin.

There's actually been another snafu since my last post. Everything seemed to be working fine, but it said it needed to do an update and restart. I did that, but now it is stuck in update mode. It says "do not power off or unplug your machine...installing update 1 of 1". It has said that for the past 3 hours with no change.

The PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 600W.
    The graphics card is R7 260X (6 pin).

Restart. reboot into safe mode then reboot again. It should function properly, if not go back into safe mode and do a system restore.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

Thank you, my system is back to normal again. However, it's now operating with the old video card. I am still not clear on how I am supposed to get the new video card to work. Or should I just return it to the store?

Some videos that might be helpful at the link below:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...Radeon+R7+260X

Thread Information