Mismatched memory

Thread: Mismatched memory

Mismatched memory

Working on an HP Touchsmart PC320 1050, AIO. Would like to upgrade memory. Total onboard, 6GB, though that is not recommended in a Crucial memory check. System says 6 GB onboard. System boots slow. Checking: The 4 GB stick, Samsung 4 GB, 2Rx8, PC3 10600S - 9-11-F3 CH 9-1141. That seems to make sense. The second chip is a mystery: Hynix 2 GBs 1Rx8, PC3 10600S 9-10-B1 HMT -32556BFI8C-H9NOAA 1137. Crucial does not list anything for a 6GBs configuration for this unit, only a 4GB and 8GB.
    Questions: Can I pull the 2 GB chip and replace it with a matching 4 GB chip, to bring the unit to 8 GBs? OR, can I just order a matching pair of 2x4 GB chips, bringing the unit to 8 GBs, the maximum install as indicated by Crucial? I find it odd that there's a 2 GB chip installed in the machine, while there is no evidence online that this will work or should work. Could it be a matter of it being seen in the CMOS, but not really contributing to the function of the computer? PS: I had to replace the hard drive which was flashing a message on boot that it was about to give out. Replace hard drive (cloned) and all boots well. Thanks, in advance. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Questions: Can I pull the 2 GB chip and replace it with a matching 4 GB chip, to bring the unit to 8 GBs? OR, can I just order a matching pair of 2x4 GB chips, bringing the unit to 8 GBs, the maximum install as indicated by Crucial?
    I would buy the 2x4 set.

As far as the 2+4 combo, it depends on the chipset. If the bios sees it, then it would be working. HP probably did that to cut costs. You'd usually want a matched pair, that's why Crucial sells them as such.

You can run dissimilar brands ram, but there is no guarantee that they will be compatible together.

Mismatched ram.
    1. will not boot.
    2. boot by you have all kinds of hair pulling errors
    3. Runs fine

Buy a matched set and sell what you have. Yes HP does mix ram like that and the Hynix is the stick that goes bad first. Usually takes a few years for that to happen though. Just my experience.

Thread Information