[RESOLVED] Win 7 ult installation hangs on 'Starting Windows' - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win 7 ult installation hangs on 'Starting Windows'

You should be able to format the hard disc when installing Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

What happens when you try this?

OK, I formatted the drive using a USB adapter on another computer. I downloaded X17-59463.iso and burned it just in case there's something wrong with my legitimate source disk - both hang after 'Starting Windows.'

The drive is fine, the memory is fine, the source installation disks are fine and it's not a driver issue because there's nothing on the drive.

What else can it be?

Were you able to find a motherboard make/model? Did you check for bad caps like I suggested?

If there are onboard devices like audio and NIC, disable them in the bios for now. After Win7 is installed, you can try re-enabling them.

jdc:
    >You should be able to format the hard disc when installing Windows.
    Windows is Loading files > Starting Windows > Install Now > format options - I never get that far because it hangs at Starting Windows. Anyway, I got it formatted.

Midknyte:
    I don't know what the 'caps' are that you're referring to. I will check for onboard stuff that can be disabled.

Caps = Capacitors. They look like small cylinders on the motherboard. If any look like they are bulging or leaking, or have any residue on the tops or exterior, then they could be bad (have failed). If that is the case, the motherboard is probably dead unless you want to try replacing them.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

If you are getting the hanging BEFORE the install CD/DVD even fininshes loading, then some basic driver for the motherboard may be to blame. Follow Midknyte's advice and disable as much hardware in the BIOS as you can, then try to install and see what happens.

No apparent problems with caps.

* I tried installing using the USB attachment but 'Windows doesn't support installing via USB'
    * I tried putting the files on a partition and installing from one to the other but 'Windows doesn't support that either'
    * I tried another IDE drive - hangs on Starting Windows BUT!

This time the drive was bootable to an old XP installation and I'm currently installing Win 7 to the C: drive. Yes, I have a workaround but it's not very satisfying to fail to solve the problem. I'll take what I can get.

Thread Information