W7 Boot up time

Thread: W7 Boot up time

W7 Boot up time

I have Glary Utilities which each morning informs me of the boot up time. This varies a great deal, from 45 seconds to 1min 15 seconds, for no discernable reason. Any ideas why this might be so?

Use Hibernate, very consistent boot times.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I've never heard of Glary Utilities so it's hard to say just how accurate it is

Having external drives connected via USB could influence boot time.. If you have mapped drives to other machines could make a difference depending if they are on or not...

Those are just two variables that come to mind.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Glary Utilities is basically a reg cleaner, which I will not allow near my computers.
    Probably the reason right there for time variations.
    Thanks Broni!

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
    • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
    • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
    • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
    • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Thanks for the info. But I have to say that I have used both Glary Utilities and CCleaner for many years with total satisfaction. I trust them to perform as planned, but I agree that a backup to the registry is always a sensible precaution.

I am not sure wht Registry Cleaners are seen as any more risky than Windows updates.

And I would like to have $10 for everytime I have had to post "Sorry I have to tell you, but because the reg cleaner ripped up the regs so bad, you now need to do a clean install."

I could retire for a 3rd time.

Train - I note what you say with the utmost respect. But I repeat that I have used CCleaner and Glary for many years (and I use them often) without any problems at all. But "À chacun son goût" as the Germans would say.

Yes it is, À chacun son goût is right.
    Seeems then you are the 2nd person who uses them and do NOT run into trouble.

Hmmm. All the reviews I read of Glary and CCleaner are pretty positive.

http://www.glarysoft.com/comparison.html
    http://www.snapfiles.com/userreviews...laryutils.html
    http://community.spiceworks.com/prod...lary-utilities

"Glary is the best on-demand program performing the fastest one-click clean with good results."

"Normally I'm hesitate to run a registry cleaner; however, this program does as it states and when ever i run it on a older machine there is a clearly a noted spike in performance."

Surely if anyone had actually had their registry damaged by using these products they would be quick to publicise the fact? But trawling the web I do not find any such experiences. Can you point to an actual example?

Perhps your attitude is a hang-over from many years ago when these products were new and more prone to bugs. Or perhaps you are tarring all registry cleaners with the same brush. It may be that some other product(s) caused the problems you mention.
    Last edited by Philip M; February 26th, 2015 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Noticed typo

The results can vary widely dependent upon the person using the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    The results can vary widely dependent upon the person using the tool.
    Ah. So the tool is clever enough to know who is using it and selects its level of malevalency accordingly?

Thread Information