[RESOLVED] WRT54G Replacement - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [RESOLVED] WRT54G Replacement

Those appear to be firmware vulnerabilities, not a 802.11g problem. It depends on which revision of the WRT54G you are using.

BTW, "bands" refers to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. 802.11g is a standard that supports the 2.4GHz band.

Exploitation from the WAN interface is only possible if the affected device has remote management enabled.
    DISABLE THAY, we have been saying that for years.
    Always check the Affected list

Linksys WPC300N - Wireless-N Notebook Adapter 4.100.15.5
    Linksys WRT54G v2.0 2.0 0.8 (Firmware), 2.0 2.8 beta(Firmware), 2.4.4 (Firmware)
    Linksys WRT54G v3.0 3.1.3 (Firmware), 3.3.6 (Firmware)
    Linksys WRT54G v4.0 4.0.7 (Firmware), 4.20.6 (Firmware

All firmwares.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    "bands" refers to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. 802.11g is a standard that supports the 2.4GHz band.
    Got it and thanks.

Got two more questions (it will end at some point ):

First, if my ISP package has a max speed of 50 mbps, then SB6183 would not benefit more than SB6121 right? http://www.surfboard.com/products/mo...mparison-chart

I know that I don't need to upgrade my SB6120 but I am still curious to understand why one would buy SB6183 over SB6121 if the internet speed is determined by the ISP. In my case, the max speed is only 50 mbps.

Second, I did a search (on this site) on this next question already. Are there PROs and CONs when it comes to Cable Modem vs Cable Modem (built in Router)? Cable Modem (built in Router) of course would be less clutter in terms of wires but I understand that if a new version comes out after 802.11ac, I would have to upgrade the Cable Modem (built in Router). From the opinions that I have read on google, people are against the combo which you probably would too right Train and MidKnyte?

NetGear has the AC1750-WiFi Cable Modem Router Model: C6300
    Mortorola has the SURFboard SBG6782-AC AC1800 M
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; February 10th, 2015 at 05:50 AM.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Yes, I get a modem as the Comcast wireless modem has wireless hot spots built in and I do not want that.
    http://www.comcast.com/wifi/faqs.html

Well, in the Portland, Oregon area, that SB6183 would not be fast enough in some places.
    So the 6121 would do just nicely for most of us, some will need to match their download speed to a faster modem that will handle it.

You're fine with the modem you have. Some ISPs have "turbo" or "ultimate" speed plans, but the highest I've seen locally is 100Mbps.

Didn't you buy the Nighthawk already? Why even consider a combo?
    I don't like combo router/modems. I think you're much better off getting a separate router. If one side malfunctions, you'd need to buy a while new unit. I've never used the combo units you mentioned, but wireless performance is generally worse than a standalone router.

I was just curious about other cable modems when I came across the combos. Wanted to get both of your thoughts. Now, I have them. Thanks

Strange thing about the R7000 is that the range is less than the WRT54G. The new router is placed exactly in the same location as WRT54G but when standing outside or in my bedroom, reception is much less on WIFI.

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz? 5GHz generally has a shorter range and is more affected by interference like walls.

Hi Midknyte,

Yes, I have been on the 2.4ghz. I agree that 5ghz has trouble with penetration through walls and range, basing from reading and from testing.

Unlike the WRT54G, there has been no router reboot so far. Just range limitation. My house is 2 storys.

Thanks

Is the router upstairs or downstairs? How do you have the antennae oriented?

Note that the wifi field is like a donut around the antenna, not a globe. You may need to tilt the antennae to get better reception, especially if you are directly above or below the router.

Did you scan the 2.4GHz wifi channels to see if there are other networks around you? You should choose the channel with the least amount of interference. We already gave you links to WirelessNetView and WifiInfoView. You want to use channels 1, 6 or 11.

Is the router upstairs or downstairs? How do you have the antennae oriented?
    It is upstairs and antennae has been tested and pointed in all direction.

Note that the wifi field is like a donut around the antenna, not a globe. You may need to tilt the antennae to get better reception, especially if you are directly above or below the router.
    That is something new for me. Thanks

Did you scan the 2.4GHz wifi channels to see if there are other networks around you? You should choose the channel with the least amount of interference. We already gave you links to WirelessNetView and WifiInfoView. You want to use channels 1, 6 or 11.
    I have not. Let me do it and get back. Thank You

The signal kind of looks like this

Attachment 12903

Train, am I supposed to eat that horizontally, instead of vertically?

Midknyte, on channel 11, it has gotten the range level back up. Thanks

I guess you can try if you want.

Thread Information