is windows genuine

Thread: is windows genuine

is windows genuine

One day I turn on my puter, which I bought used, and it says my Win7 is not genuine. So I go about trying to figure that out, and eventually come to the conclusion it is, in fact, not genuine. (mainly because I do not know where to look for the product ID) Then yesterday I noticed something different. The windows "not genuine" error no longer pops up and I am now able to get my screen saver picture back, etc. Then I go to Start - computer - System properties, and there it is, bottom of page, "Windows is Activated" and the product ID.
    Now I have been working on two things that I have posted threads to in this forum. How do I xfer data from an old computer drive to a new computer drive, and swapping out a C drive. So I have been doing stuff to this computer. But what the heck?
    So I go about doing updates (windows) and some of them download and install and some don't. So I am left with the Q of What the heck? Should I just continue on with my normal day to day here and let it sort itself out? I have no disc of this windows. it is OEM. Any thoughts?
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

My body and I have an agreement.
    I take it to places where we have fun;
    it takes me to places where we have fun.
    We're a team, my body and I. Jon Turk

This..

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...enuinewindows7

is the place to ask that question. They have way more inside info on licensing Windows than anyone else. They will ask you to download and run a small program called MGADiag tool (see the top sticky) which will give you/them all the info necessary including the key number to determine if your license is in fact bad or it's a glitch.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Well download the right version
    Make the dvd
    http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-...media-legally/

The key on the computer will work.

When I downloaded the right version on howtogeek, I had to download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. So I then downloaded the Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. Then when I tried to burn it to an USB stick the Download tool does not see my USB stick. "No compatible USB device detected." The computer sees it as Local Disc H. Don't know how to proceed.
    Last edited by drhugh; January 31st, 2015 at 07:05 PM.
    Home Built in 4/2014
    Intel Core i7 930
    ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    6 G DDR3 RAM
    Hatachi HDS5C ATA 2 T HD
    G-Force GTX 460
    NEC DVD-RW
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

My body and I have an agreement.
    I take it to places where we have fun;
    it takes me to places where we have fun.
    We're a team, my body and I. Jon Turk

Why I use dvds, slower yes, but I have a hard copy if I or my clients need it later.

Sticks like that can go bad in a heart beat. If you used a USB 3 port, try a USB 2 port. I have run into that situation a few times.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by drhugh View Post
    When I downloaded the right version on howtogeek, I had to download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. So I then downloaded the Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. Then when I tried to burn it to an USB stick the Download tool does not see my USB stick. "No compatible USB device detected." The computer sees it as Local Disc H. Don't know how to proceed.
    Download the iso file and then use "windows 7 usb/dvd download tool" to create your bootable thumb drive: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...-download-tool

Thread Information