Increasing RAM with USB thumb-drive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing RAM with USB thumb-drive

Increasing RAM with USB thumb-drive

What ho,

I have a Dell dimension 9200 with XP Pro. Although the computer will handle 64 bit, it will not handle more than 4 gb of RAM, so there is next to no point in upgrading my software and OS.

However, I have been reading that I can use a USB thumb-drive to increase the RAM. Am thinking of buying a 32 gb USB3 drive although the computer only has USB2 sockets.

For most use, I probably don't need the extra RAM but I do a lot of photo processing with about 100mb files and I'm hoping that increasing the RAM with a USB will speed things up.

As an example, I have been timing a 99mb file that I have applied four filters from Nik Colour Effects Pro. Hit the OK button and it takes almost 2 minutes before the layer becomes available in Photoshop. Would a 32 gb thumb-drive, configured in virtual memory, speed things up?

Thanks

Toodle Pip,

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

windows Vista and Win 7 have something called Readyboost where you can insert a USB thumb drive (or any number of them you care to) and use that as quasi RAM. I recall looking for something similar for my old XP laptop a while back and found nothing similar.

Having said that I experimented with my Win 7 pro w/4 Gigs of ram and USB 2.0 by inserting one (and later two) 16 Gig USB sticks and setting them up with Readyboost. I found absolutely no difference at all. It's possible that if I had less actual ram I would have seen some improvement or if I'd had USB 3.0 available then that likely would have helped a lot too but as it was nada.

Am thinking of buying a 32 gb USB3 drive although the computer only has USB2 sockets.
    Your computer will need USB 3.0 sockets to take advantage of the faster drive.

If you're going to put some of your pagefile/virtual memory onto the USB stick I tried that too and found it also made no noticeable difference on my xp laptop that has 756 Gigs of actual ram. You could try it though and see what happens. I'd leave some of the allotted VM on the hard drive and put the rest on the USB stick. You could experiment with percentages.. start with 50/50. Also USB sticks have different read write speeds so you'd want to do a little research to find a better/faster one.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I have a Dell dimension 9200 with XP Pro. Although the computer will handle 64 bit, it will not handle more than 4 gb of RAM, so there is next to no point in upgrading my software and OS.
    XP 32-bit wouldn't support more than about 3.25GB RAM anyways.

However, I have been reading that I can use a USB thumb-drive to increase the RAM. Am thinking of buying a 32 gb USB3 drive although the computer only has USB2 sockets.
    XP doesn't support Readyboost. It's not the same as adding real RAM. It's basically a cache drive.

Would a 32 gb thumb-drive, configured in virtual memory, speed things up?
    I highly doubt that would help. A USB 2.0 flash drive would still be slower than your hard drive.

Go with a PCIe SSD which is much faster than USB.
    Example:
    Crucial M500 - solid state drive - 240 GB - PCI Express M.2 Card
    Crucial m500 240 gb internal solid state drive - M.2 - 500 mbps maximum read transfer rate - 250 mbps maximum write transfer rate - 72000iops random 4kb read - 60000iops random 4kb write (ct240m500ssd4)
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CMELEKYrMCo

The usb 3.0 sticks I have top out a 70 MB writes, 40 with big files and they average about 10 MB on USB 2.0.

Better yet Get a SSD for C: drive. I loved the difference it made. Paid about $90 for a 240 GB sdd.

Running Win 10 build 9926, 32-bit, on a Dell Optiplex 755 with 2 GB or ram and a 240 GB ssd and it is doing just fine. Lots faster than XP ever was.

Your best option by far is to replace the whole computer or everything inside the case far newer and much faster parts along with Windows 7 64 or 8.1 64 operating systems. The 9200 is 8 years old now and that's an eternity in the computer world. Attempting to use a USB flash drive for anything other than storage is a total waste of time, especially on what you currently have.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Derp, I do agree with you but I really cannot justify the expense for a new computer, OS and the latest Adobe software, just to get things running faster. What would I do with all the extra seconds saved?

However, I have been running a test using a very old 1gb USB2 stick, a 2gb USB2 stick and a new 64 gb USB3 stick. I currently have 4800mb set as the page file size on C: and with the 64gb stcik, I could not allocate more than 4800. To be honest, I don't know what any of that actually means anyway.

I ran the same 99mb image in PhotoShop CS3 with the same five Nik Color Efecs filters and timed them. I ran each image twice just to check the times. What I got was as follows: no USB stick took 2m30s to open in PS as a layer; 1gb took 1m40s; 2gb took 1m45s and the 64gb stick set to 4800 mb as virtual memory also took 1m40s.

So I will put the 1gb in and assuming that it is actually doing something, save approx 50 seconds when using the Nik software.

Toodle pip.

Rex

How much ram is there installed in your computer? You might see a greater performance gain by maxing-out your ram.

The Dell Dimension 9200 has 4 sockets RAM expansion slots, where you may install new memory, either by removing the existing installed RAM or adding memory to the free slot available. 1 GB of ram per slot. So the 4 GB he says he has is the max.

I know 4gB is the max amount of ram this computer can handle, but the op never said that he had 4gB of installed ram.

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    I know 4gB is the max amount of ram this computer can handle, but the op never said that he had 4gB of installed ram.
    Got it now!

As above, only have 3 gb installed. At the time of buying, I was not so familiar with the ins and out of XP but also, I was not aware that a Dell limitation on this computer was 4 gb.

It's a PIA since the computer, old as it is, will run 64 bit and I would happily upgrade to W7, but there is not point if I cannot also increase the RAM beyond 4gb

Note that the Dell Dimension 9200, even if Dell doesn't say so, can be upgraded to 8GB of ram. I upgraded at least 4 of them to 8GB without any issue.

Glussier,

Presumably, installing 8gb RAM with 32 bit XP is a waste of time?

I would happily upgrade to W7 and install 8gb RAM. Given that the computer is not the fastest kid on the block, would that considerably improve the speed?

Not really, but if you could find a used Intel Q6600 or Q6700 quad processor, the speed would then be considerably improved. Just adding ram and replacing the o/s won't significantly improve the speed of your computer.

Thanks. Already have a 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600.

Thread Information