[RESOLVED] Self-changing macros in Notepad++

Thread: [RESOLVED] Self-changing macros in Notepad++

Resolved [RESOLVED] Self-changing macros in Notepad++

I create a macro in Notepad++ consisting of several lines of text: "begin recording," type the text involved, "end recording" and then "save recorded macro." Works fine, I use the macro to insert the text into a document and all is well. Then I use "Ctrl-X" to cut soem text from elsewhere in the document and then "Ctrl-V" to paste it into the text which was inserted by the nacro, replacing a few words which were part of the macro. The next time I use the macro to insert in another document, the macro does not insert what was recorded, but inserts what was in the copy buffer from the "Ctrl-X" which I used to modify the previous document.

Somehow, the macro is being changed by putting material into the copy buffer?

Problem solved: I was not actually typing the text when creating the macro. I was putting it into the macro by pasting it from the copy buffer, and that doesn't work. One has to actually type the text when creating a macro.
    Last edited by Bill Heffner; January 29th, 2015 at 01:33 PM.

If this is a Microsoft Word macro, you can edit the macro directly if you view the code window for it. What version of Word (if any) are you using?

Not MS Word. Application was Notepad++. After discovering the solution, I realized that when creating the macro by pasting, what I was typing was "Ctrl-V," so the macro was created not as the content of what I pasted, but as what I actually typed, which was the "Ctrl-V." Makes perfect sense, actually.

Thread Information