A better PS2 - USB Gadget ??

Thread: A better PS2 - USB Gadget ??

A better PS2 - USB Gadget ??

I run a 4 port KVM rack mount type switch to operate 3 PC's with one monitor, keyboard & mouse. The switch uses USB for the PC's & PS2 for the keyboard & mouse. I am ok with the keyboard, which is wired. The mouse however, is wireless of which I prefer. Using the old green color PS2- USB adapter, the KVM will work ok with the earlier type wireless mouse. The mouse (logitec) uses a transmitter that is 2-3/4" long. Works fine on the adapter. The mouse itself is getting pretty well used & I wanted to use one of the newer wireless mouse that uses a transmitter that's abt 5/8" long. However, the newer trans. will not work with the adapter. I would hate to have to buy a new KVM switch just to be able have the single mouse feature. Doe anyone have a workaround or know of any other type of adapter, I could use ??
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Getting a wireless keyboard or mouse to work with a KVM switch can often be problematic.

What make and model of KVM switch are you using?

What makes and models of wireless mice are you looking at purchasing?

The switch is a Cables to Go Model 35555. As for the mice, I own several wireless ones made by Logitech. They all use the stubby type trans.

A shorter USB transceiver for the mouse means a smaller antenna, and buried behind a KVM switch and a maze of wires will reduce the range even more, without even taking into account whether the setup is compatible with your KVM. Have you tried connecting the wireless mouse transceiver and then testing the mouse with it having a direct line of sight to the transceiver? That would let you know if it will work at all. If it doesn't, then it probably isn't compatible with the KVM.

A good thought. Tried it & no luck. I guess the newer mice tx's are not compatible with those PS2-USB adapter . Anyway, thanks for the input. Maybe I can find newer old mouse with the long tx.

Logitech does not support the use of their wireless keyboards and mice with KVMs.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboa...VM/td-p/386576

You might need a different brand of wireless mouse (Microsoft?) and/or a different KVM.

Possibly useful links:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mouse+with+kvm

Thanks jdc2000, I will check it out ....

Thread Information