Changing Internet Service Provider (ISP)

Thread: Changing Internet Service Provider (ISP)

Changing Internet Service Provider (ISP)

Hi,
    Have anyone ever changed their Internet Service Provider (ISP)? If you have, please see if you can answer my question below.

I presently have AT&T - DSL. They want me to change to AT&T U-Verses, which I do not want. At sometime down the road, I feel they will cancel my DSL. At the time of my initial set-up, I bought a modem from them & had to put filters on each of our phone jacks. If I changed ISP, would I have to get a new modem from the ISP and get new filters?

If you cannot answer my question, please just let me know.

DarElls

As far as the modem goes it depends on which DSL service you have now and what you are switching to. If you have an older modem that doesn't support the newer type(s) of DSL and the new company does not offer older, standard DSL then you will need a new one. There's also a small possibility that if you bought the modem directly from your current ISP that it may have a proprietary set up that won't allow it to be used elsewhere but that's not commonly done.

What make/model modem do you have now? What speed service do you pay for and do you want a faster speed if/when you switch?

You can usually check on the ISP's website to see what modems are acceptable for their service. You can always call and ask their sales dept too. You should also be prepared to program your modem for the new ISP's login and service requirements. Their tech help staff should help you with that.

The filters should be fine.

Because of all the different parameters involved in switching ISP's which I have done probably 10 times for various reasons since 1996 (often poor service or increases in price) I always call the sales dept of the one I want to move to and ask lots of questions about their service and requirements. When I finally do make a switch I make lots of notes both ordering the new service and cancelling the old one.. order no, customer no, agent's name, date and time just in case things go south and from my experience here in Canada they often do.

(I'm switching again in a week and it's nearly always an aggravating experience)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Quote Originally Posted by DarElls View Post
    Hi,
    Have anyone ever changed their Internet Service Provider (ISP)? If you have, please see if you can answer my question below.

I presently have AT&T - DSL. They want me to change to AT&T U-Verses, which I do not want. At sometime down the road, I feel they will cancel my DSL. At the time of my initial set-up, I bought a modem from them & had to put filters on each of our phone jacks. If I changed ISP, would I have to get a new modem from the ISP and get new filters?

If you cannot answer my question, please just let me know.

DarElls

I think we're missing a basic point here. You currently have DSL service from AT&T. AT&T is trying to sell you U-Verse. Right?

In my mind U-Verse refers to the AT&T cable TV service. That can be a stand-alone service for your TV. You can, of course, buy a package service, to include TV, computer, and telephone, but I don't think it's a requirement.

I have Comcast cable running both my TV and computer, both on the same cable coming into the house, and AT&T phone hard line. My neighbor has U-Verse for her TV, and SBCGlobal for her computer ISP. My daughter has Verizon satellite for her TV, and no phone service other than AT&T cell.

Your best bet is to call AT&T to find out exactly what they are offering. Ask lots of questions. Have them written down before the call so you don't forget any.

I voluntarily switched from AT&T DSL (which was formerly SBC) to AT&T U-Verse. I have U-Verse for land line phone service with unlimited domestic long distance, which is VOIP, and Internet only. I do not have U-Verse TV service as part of my "bundle". Although you say you don't want it, I find U-Verse to be exponentially better than the DSL line. I can download more than double my previous allocation without incurring additional charges, the speed is much faster for everything and the service more reliable. I have a Motorola gateway provided by AT&T which I have to rent for $6 a month but it has great wireless connectivity and excellent wired Internet and I no longer need to use my Netgear router. The other choice in my area is Comcast and the U-Verse is by far a better deal. I am very happy with my service.
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
    P/S: Corsair GS800
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Thread Information