DOWNLOAD INTERNET EXPLORER 8 w/SP2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DOWNLOAD INTERNET EXPLORER 8 w/SP2

The laptop is running XP Home Edition, version 2002, Service Pack 2.

How/from where do I create an XPSP2, or is it the HP CD that came with the system? If so, SFC is run from that bootable disc?

Creating UBCD5 now.

So you know how to burn an .iso to CD, right? If not, take a look at this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183...age-to-a-disc/

HP Pavilion dv1000 Special Edition Laptop
    XP Home v.2002 w/SP3
    I thought you were running SP3? If not, that's the first update you should have installed. That's probably why you're getting Windows Update errors.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

How/from where do I create an XPSP2, or is it the HP CD that came with the system? If so, SFC is run from that bootable disc?
    I'm guessing the HP CD is a recovery disc. You might be able to run SFC from that, if it's a plain OEM XP CD.

The dv1000 series has many sub-models. There should be another 1000 series number on a sicker somewhere that would help us narrow down the memory upgrade possibilities.

jdc2000, TY! The bottom sticker displays a service tag of dv1580se, and I have the p/n and s/n if they can help to further narrow down.

Yes, thank you, I've created a UBCD in the past, but it's been a while...so your tutorial will be a boon for review. I'll post back if I get confused!

Thank you, Midknyte, and the Microsoft link you provided first took me to a cumulative update for IE8, then on to the SP3 package. I saved the latter to a thumbdrive so I hope it will install from that onto the laptop? Does it matter which of the file groups I install first, the cumulative or the SP3?

I misstated that SP3 was on the installation disc I used yesterday, but it was SP2...SP3 was on the O/S I deleted and formatted so I could start all over, as the former installation had pesky files that kept appearing on boot, totally unneeded, among other issues...latency being the most obvious. I apologize for the confusion, and just for the record, it was indeed SP3 that I was trying to get to initially, but the system kept crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    So you know how to burn an .iso to CD, right? If not, take a look at this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183...age-to-a-disc/

I thought you were running SP3? If not, that's the first update you should have installed. That's probably why you're getting Windows Update errors.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

I'm guessing the HP CD is a recovery disc. You might be able to run SFC from that, if it's a plain OEM XP CD.

Does it matter which of the file groups I install first, the cumulative or the SP3?
    Always install the service packs first. Then install IE8. After that, see what updates are left.

So you're trying to install SP3 from WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe? It should be about 316MB.

Crucial did not have the dv1580se listed specifically. However, below is a link to the dv1500 series upgrades. 2GB appears to be the maximum memory supported.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compat...-dv1500-series

Well, for all my time spent since yesterday early afternoon starting with a 100% reformat using HP-supplied DVDs for a clean reinstall, until right now, 10:30 pm PST, here's what I have to show for my efforts -- and the valuable advice and time taken from all of you techs as well:

Internet Explorer version 8 with SP3 will not load or takes about 5 minutes per page...ultimately becomes non-responsive...hourglass, not the pointer, becomes a permanent icon to view in all of its beauty along with the other bad news on the screen...once it finally loads.

Google Chrome takes about 5 minutes per page to load and can not be navigated with the touchpad.

For the record, I also installed all of the drivers on an additional HP-supplied DVD after the O/S installation yesterday.

I'm starting to model the behavior of the insane...trying again and again to get it right and expecting a different result.

WTH,

sbuxman

Always install the service packs first. Then install IE8. After that, see what updates are left.

So you're trying to install SP3 from WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe? It should be about 316MB.

Internet Explorer version 8 with SP3 will not load or takes about 5 minutes per page...ultimately becomes non-responsive...hourglass, not the pointer, becomes a permanent icon to view in all of its beauty along with the other bad news on the screen...once it finally loads.
    What do you mean "Internet Explorer version 8 with SP3"?
    IE8 and SP3 are two different things. Did you load Service Pack 3 or not? Did you download the 316MB file that I mentioned?

Did you check the Device Manager to make sure all hardware is installed properly?

Something is not adding up. Using Chrome shouldn't affect the touchpad at all. 1GB of RAM is pretty low, even for XP. Chrome is going to eat up a lot of RAM fast.

What do you mean "Internet Explorer version 8 with SP3"?
    IE8 and SP3 are two different things. Did you load Service Pack 3 or not? Did you download the 316MB file that I mentioned?

Did you check the Device Manager to make sure all hardware is installed properly?

Something is not adding up. Using Chrome shouldn't affect the touchpad at all. 1GB of RAM is pretty low, even for XP. Chrome is going to eat up a lot of RAM fast.
    Midknyte...

I'll blame poor sleep and frustration for the mixup...

When I retired last evening, the latest restart said that I had 70-80 additional updates to install, so I let the system do its thing. This morning, I have an entirely different computer in front of me, almost as if a magic wand were waved over it and morphed it into like-new condition. Chrome and IE8 are zippy compared to what I had at bedtime last night, though the latter reminds me that I'm using an unsupported browser for gmail. I can live with that considering...

I'd still like to practice with Ultimate Boot CS 5, unless that would come with risks? And I still have even more updates to download and install now according to the auto-updater notifier in the systray.

I wanted to know if there are good bootable AV programs for XP? I was using Avira for a Win 7 system and it was very helpful.

And just to clear the air, I'm running IE8 and my O/S has been successfully upgraded to WinXP SP3.

Thank you for your continued help and patience. Today I will purchase the additional RAM stick to bring the total installed to 2GB, just in case I can benefit from any additional memory...as previously noted, the 1GB installed now provides 0.99. How could it hurt to install one more stick after running Crucial's app for additional info?

sbuxman

The Windows CD and UBCD5 are two separate CDs.

The Windows CD should have the same SP level as the installed Windows. I.E. If you have XPSP3 installed, you should run SFC with an XPSP3 CD.

UBCD5 has hard drive diags, as well as memtest.
    OK then, so having now upgraded the OS to XP SP3, what's my next step so I can perform SFC since the HP system CD came with XP SP2?

If you were running Windows Update in the background, that would have really slowed down your system.

As I said before, IE8 is no longer being updated, so you should use Firefox or Chrome instead. That's why Gmail gives you that warning.

You mean a bootable AV CD? There are quite a few out there.
    http://www.askvg.com/download-free-b...re-and-others/

It's your call on UBCD5. I would still make it, just to have it handy. I'm not sure what risks you mean. If you just run diags, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think you need to run SFC, but you'd need to have a slipstreamed XP SP3 CD. I'm not sure if that will work for an HP Recovery disc, though. You can read more about that, if you really want to run SFC.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...-system-files/
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

You should look at your current configuration first. Many times, you'd have 2 512MB sticks instead of 1 1024MB stick. This is especially true of dual channel configurations. So you'd probably have to buy a 2GB kit (2 1024MB sticks).

Many times, you'd have 2 512MB sticks instead of 1 1024MB stick. This is especially true of dual channel configurations. So you'd probably have to buy a 2GB kit (2 1024MB sticks).
    That is what I have normally found and had to do.

The Crucial program [download] will tell you, when it is done, what you have in each slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    That is what I have normally found and had to do.

The Crucial program [download] will tell you, when it is done, what you have in each slot.

JTrain,

Just ran the program...

Each slot has a 512MB stick PC2700...Crucial scan says max suppoorted is 2048, so I can invest $32.99 each for 2 sticks of 1GB PC2700 or PC3200, according to the scan.

Sidebar: I was just going to use the Prt Sc button to put the scan results on the webpage into the Clipboard and then save a .jpeg from Paint and upload it so you could see the scan results in my reply. But tapping the Prt Sc button on this laptop doesn't put anything into memory on the Clipboard!? Any ideas?

Thank you.

Thread Information