Pixels on TV

Thread: Pixels on TV

Pixels on TV

I keep getting pixels on my TV. I am wondering if it's the TV, or cable box or the network as it happens only on ABC. It does not happen on the TV in another room . Should I buy a new TV?

It's not the TV esp if it's only on one channel. It's either the station having transmitting issues or your cable/TV service having receiving/retransmitting issues.

Not a lot you can do about either but you could contact your TV provider to let them know if they don't already. If they have a user's forum you may find others with the similar problem.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

A simple test will help you to determine a possible cause.

Take the TV that gets the pixelation to the room with the TV that does not get the pixelation.
    Connect the cable from the cable box in the room with the working TV to the TV from the room where you were having issues, then turn on that TV and check to see if you get pixelation. If it now works OK, then you have eliminated the TV as the problem. If you get pixelation, then the TV is not liking something with the signal.

I realize that this may be a pain to have to move a TV, especially if it is a larger one and/or mounted on the wall. If that is the case, you could try the reverse and move the working TV to the room with the pixelated TV and try it. It may be the easiest test to perform however.

Also, you did not mention what types, makes, or models of TVs you have. That might help us as well.

36 "Vizio TVs

If both TVs are the same then you have issues with either one of the cable boxes or a bad section of coax or cabling from where the cable enters the building to the cable box and TV where the issue occurs. It could be the cable from the cable box to the TV. Try swapping those between the two sets to see what happens. It is possible that you also have a bad splitter, if one is used, or one of the cable runs is long enough that you would need a signal amplifier on it.

I did not see this.. "It does not happen on the TV in another room" When I answered above. Ignore my response.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I switch TVs. I now know it's a problem with the cable box . Will call my cable company. thanks for the help.

I've had this happen more times than I can count. I will get pixalization, pictures frozen briefly, black screen for a couple seconds, and other things which are equally irritating.

Our signal comes in via Cable. On that single cable I run computer (cable modem and router), and two TVs. I've eliminated as many splitters as possible, and discovered that splitters are not all created equal. To compound the possibilities, each TV has a TIVO box, as well as a cable box.

When trouble hits I usually start with the cables. They are the cheapest and easiest to deal with. My TIVO boxes are working well now (I have that in another thread).

I've gone through so many cable boxes...I'm not sure I can count that high. Luckily Comcast has a service office here in town. I can drive there and exchange the cable box. Sometimes I think that all I get is another box which has less dust on it. I'm not truly convinced they do anything more than that before recycling the boxes to another customer.

My cable company recently switched to an all-encrypted system, requiring cable boxes or cablecard devices. Of course, they want to use the cheapest boxes they can get to reduce initial costs. Their boxes run hot enough to cook dinner on when turned on. Even switched off, but still plugged in, they reduce my winter home heating bill significantly. Since heat is the enemy of electronics, I have them sitting on perforated aluminum netbook cooling stands with dual 80 mm fans mounted on the stand bottom blowing air up past them. Maybe this way they will last a few years.

Thread Information