net::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: net::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

net::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

I'm installing s/w for a new Win7 Pro system. The system was assembled and OS installed by the supplier. I have the system connected to a router via cable. I installed and activated lot of s/w incl Chrome and Office. Internet connection was no problem until I suddenly found that the date and time was set wrongly. The local time is about 1:50pm, Jan 20, 2015 in time zone -8, but it was shown as 2:50am, Jan 21, time zone -8. I corrected it to the local time by Windows setting data and time function.

After this action, the Internet browsers are not working: Chrome and IE, both home page is https://google.ca. The error message from IE is "securitycertificate presented by this website has expired or not yet valid", and from Chrome is "net::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID". If I click "continue to this site" in IE, I got the web page displayed. Therefore the connection is OK.

Please help me to resolve this problem. Thanks.

The Time Zone, Date, and Time must be set correcty to avoid that web site certificate error. Since you set up the system and installed software with an incorrect date and time, that may be affecting things also. Since the date was off by 24hours in the future, I would suggest that you wait 1 day, reboot the system, make sure that the Time Zone, Date, and Time are still correct, and see if you still get the error. Post your results here.

Note: When installing Windows, unless you are in Microsoft's home time zone (U.S. Pacific time), always check and change the tie zone, date, and time at the earliest opportunity during the installation to aoid this issue.

Check the time on the clock!

If the time is off, you will get that error every time.

And sync the time with a time server.

Way I get around that error.

It sounds like your time/timezone still isn't set properly. You'll get those certificate errors if your time/timezone is wrong.

Try setting it to a different timezone. Close and reopen the time settings and set it back to -8:00.

Thanks for everybody's quick replies, I really appreciate that. Problem is still there. I change the time zone to +8, close the change date dialog box then re-open change back to -8 (Pacific US), time is 3:38 pm. Not yet solved.

When I shut down last time the system installed 28 updates. Now it install 1 update.

all upates are done, problem still exists, check BIOS setting : date: 1/20/2015, time 15:47 it is correct.

this error only happens if I go to a https web site. If I go to a http site, there is no problem

That is expected. HTTPS is the one that uses certificates.

Try syncing with a time server:
    http://technology.mattrude.com/2011/...k-time-server/

Midknyte, I did the syn but problem still exists. What is the Internet time? What is the difference between the time on our computers?

Internet Time is syncing your workstation time with a time server, so it's more accurate.

Choose windows.time.com as the time server.

time-a.nist.gov and time-b.nist.gov are the 2 I use.

That one has gone bad for me on numerous occasions.

EDITED a bad time server name!

The computer is in my client office. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks everybody.

Problem is resolved by itself! When I open the Chrome and IE this morning, the https://www.google.ca opens properly. I didn't do anything. Therefore, I can conclude that the incorrect time and date are the source of the problem.

Thanks everybody.

Thread Information