Purchase a new PC - Apple or Microsoft

Thread: Purchase a new PC - Apple or Microsoft

Purchase a new PC - Apple or Microsoft

I have need of a new desktop pc. I am considering getting an IMAC. Are all of them the 'all in 1' computer (meaning, no CPU, right?) ? I believe they all have wireless keyboards and mice, which appeals to me. I can get one at a discount, and could use some advice from Virtual Dr.

The choices are all 27 inch IMAC. Then as follows:
    1-3.2 GHz quad core intel i5. Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz. 8 GB memory. 1TB hard drive. Nvidia GT 755M with 1 GB video memory..........

2-3.4 GHz quad core intel i5. Turbo Boost up to 3.8 GHz. 8GB memory. 1TB hard drive. Nvidia GTX 775M with 2 GB video memory.........

3- 3.5GHz quad core intel i5. Turbo Boost up to 3.9 GHz. 8GB memory. 1TB fusion drivd. AMD radeon R9 M290X with 2GB video memory. This one has a Retina 5K display - pixels count right?

I am just an average home user. No gaming done on my computer.

Thanks guys.
    Lucy

I'll let others get into the MAC v PC discussion. I've only ever used one MAC regularly.. an older MAC mini at work that I despise so I think my limited and biased knowledge of MACS is not worth entering into the discussion.

The all in one thing is what would sway me away from the MACS in your scenario. If one piece of hardware goes down then you can't easily replace or even test it in one of those chassis. The whole thing needs to be sent away to be serviced and you're suddenly without any part of your computer.

Think of them as laptops without the convenience of being a laptop (portable with a built in keyboard and mouse/pad)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Malware does get to Mac's. just not as often as it does in Windows.

Ccleaner does have a version for Mac's.

In order of my preference:

Linux AntiX 13.2 and Antix 14 , in Beta, is looking real good
    A couple other distros of linux
    Windows
    MAC operating systems

If will be different and there is a learning curve, a rather steep curve with the MAC. Steeper than learning Linux in my book.

Like fink, I do not like the way all in ones are not repairable at my level. Just rebuilt a clients computer.

Lucy123--
    You say you are just a home user. Have you compared the prices for the IMAC's with Windows PC's in the low or mid-price range? The IMAC's you mention are all top line. Why do you think you need/want one of those?

P.S. All-in-ones have their CPU's in the monitor frame.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Fact is, the monitor because the whole computer is in it, weighs about 45 pounds.
    Example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch-T.../dp/B00HRLSU0M
    Details:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch-T...productDetails

Purchase a new PC - Apple of Microsoft

Fink ~ Welshjin ~ Train :

I thank you all for your responses. From what I gather you either don't like MACs, think they are difficult to learn to use and are very expensive (the ones I referenced anyway).

I was thinking of getting one because my friends that have them think they are absolutely much better than windows, and again, I have a discount for a short period of time.

I have decided from your replies that I will continue with a Microsoft machine. Train, I have never heard of a Linux, but then I am no expert either.

My last purchase was an HP and I had to return it upon receipt and they replaced the entire motherboard (so they said). My first PC was a Gateway......long gone now. I usually check with consumer reports to rate any unusual purchases. But will ask here since I have your attention.

Which brand of Microsoft computers do you recommend?

Thank you all so much, and have a great weekend.
    Lucy

I only buy Dell's.... Have used dozens of them over the years...
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Dell Optiplex is what I get for clients.

Toshiba laptops I buy for myself.

Build my own desktops.

Still want a MAC, go for it ! Daughter said it took her about 6 weeks to get the hang of it. She uses hers about like you plus for taking notes in nursing school.

Apple is the Scientology of computers; there are actually a few parallels between them and none are good. I'd never advise a friend to waste good money on anything made by Apple. I'm an IT administrator, I build and repair the PC's & servers where I work plus I have my own business building and repairing custom A/V production & high-end gaming computers. In my 16+ years doing this I have yet to say anything good about Apple or the overpriced products they foist upon their cult members. A few Macs have come into my possession of the years, I've played around with them and found them nearly useless for my tastes.

My experiences with any all-in-one PC have not been good either. They're repair nightmares and impossible to upgrade. Avoid them like a disease. If you're "just an average home user" any Dell PC with an i5 should work well for you at far less cost than any Mac.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

What can't I read

What can't I read
    ?? pls explain the question.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Not much, I was reading Derp's post. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Thread Information