8.1 Lockscreen sometimes opens the wrong background picture
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.1 Lockscreen sometimes opens the wrong background picture

8.1 Lockscreen sometimes opens the wrong background picture

Strange behavior with my WIN 8.1 Dell laptop.

I have a photo set as my lockscreen background. Occasionally when I boot my computer it starts with the default background rather than my photo. When this happens my computer does not work properly. Hard to explain the things that do not work proper. But programs do not seem to open correctly. Seems like something during startup is not configuring correctly. If I reboot after this happens the computer boots as expected with the photo that I have chosen rather than the default and things work correctly.
    This thing has more bugs than a big city flop house.

Ok after my post I did a little more research. I found this,

"In Windows 8 and 8.1 there are two "Lock" screens.

The user lock screen is the one that displays when a user locks the PC while still signed in to Windows, and when the user is selected on the sign in screen, times out, and returns to the lock screen. Each user is able to change their lock screen background image to an image of their choice.
    The default Lock screen image is the one that displays when there are no users currently signed in to Windows or selected on the sign in screen."

So it seems that maybe things are working normal but I am unsure what I am doing wrong on shutdown that would cause the boot up screen to change. And also cause things to not work properly.

Here is where I found the quote,

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Still having issues with my login process.

When I boot my computer it opens to the default lock screen. If I click on the screen it opens up the user login screen. If I insert my user password Windows opens up to the app screen, but does not function properly. My network says that I am connected to the network with internet access, but Outlook will not download mail, Firefox will not load fresh pages. FF will load the tabs from previous session, but if I click on one it is unable to load.

So I have figured a workaround. If I first see the default lock screen I restart my computer. It will then restart to the User Lock Screen with the photo that I have added. Then the computer works fine.

This is happening every day after I shut down my computer in the AM and take it either to work or home from work. I work a 24 hour shift. This issue seems to have started recently. I'd say in the last 2 weeks.

I have done a SFC and found a couple things that I am unsure of. But I don't suspect that they are my issue. They reference AMD 64 processor. My computer has Intel.

"2015-01-01 09:37:05, Info CSI 00000851 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.16384, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2015-01-01 09:37:05, Info CSI 00000853 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.16384, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2015-01-01 09:37:05, Info CSI 00000854 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:186{93}]"Microsoft-Windows-Printer-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384.INF_prncacla"
    2015-01-01 09:37:06, Info CSI 00000855 [SR] Repair complete
    2015-01-01 09:37:06, Info CSI 00000856 [SR] Committing transaction
    2015-01-01 09:37:06, Info CSI 0000085b [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired"

Seems to me that something is wrong in either my shutdown process or startup process. Could I be doing a shutdown wrong? I typically right click on the Windows icon on the lower left taskbar and choose shutdown. Although I have also tried the shutdown from the App Screen, same issue.

Run a diagnostic on the hdd, long one, and check the ram.

Bad ram and /or a hdd going bad is what it looks like to me.

Thanks Train, I did the tests and they report diagnostics passed on all tests. I used the Hardware diagnostic tests from the Dell site that is associated with my computer. It is a"Powered by PC Doctor" test. I first tried to run Sea Tools by Seagate on my hard drive but was unable to get it to run. So I went to Dell and ran the one there. Do you have HDD and Memory tests that you would prefer? Or is there another possibility for the issue?

BTW for what it is worth the tests took over 6 hours to run.

Why I use the dos version of the Seagate test. Dell and the like have programs that mess with it from my experience.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
    I download it and burn the ISO to a cd , That makes a bootable cd.

I do the same thing with memtest
    http://www.memtest.org/

How to do that
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...urnisofile.htm

I do use the CDBurnerxp they list.
    Have for years in fact.

Thank You again Train. I had much difficulty figuring out how to run the ISO on my computer. My computer is 6 months old and has a UEFI BIOS. Therefore I could not boot from the optical drive without going into the UEFI and making changes to it so that it would appear as a legacy BIOS. I made those changes and was able to boot from the CD and the Sea Tools opened up. Unfortunately it was unable to see my hard drive, therefore unable to test it. I have read that Sea Tools may not see the drive in newer computers because it does not have chipset drivers for new chips. I don't know if this is true, but none the less I have been unable to run the Sea Tools.

As an interesting point. This morning my clock was an hour off. This has never happened before. I set the clock to the correct time, then went into the UEFI BIOS and checked the time. It was correct. I wish I would have thought to check the time in the BIOS before changing it. I am certain that the clock was correct in BIOS and Systray before today. Not sure if this is related.

Ron

The Time being off can cause all kinds of hair pulling weird errors.

Been there as has lots of folks who have posted.

Sounds like you just may have a SSD harddrive, hope they update the program for them.

Internet time servers that I use.
    time-a.nist.gov
    time-b.nist.gov

The M$ one goofs up to often for my liking.
    Lots of servers to choce from
    http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

I don't think it an SSD. It is a 1TB drive.

I decided to try the Memtest and see if it would run. It did and is running now. Been running for about 3 hours and finished 1 pass with no errors. Not sure how long or how many passes it will run. I just downloaded the ISO and ran it at default settings.

Strange about the time being off today. Only time that has happened.

3 or passes is generally enough.

Look in Device manager, it should list the hdd in there.
    Post what it says.

I let Memtest run for 8.25 passes about 12 hours. It found no errors.

Device manager reports my hard drive as ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB

The hdd is;
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 ST1000LM024(HN-M101MBB) 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive

And it is not listed in the Samsung diagnostics as being supported.

I would say the ram is fine.

Try downloading and burning the seatool program and try running it again. And slow the burning speed down to about half speed.
    That is what I forgot I do.

Thank you Train. I have downloaded the Seatool and running it. Seatool runs in DOS, but does not see my drive. Maybe I am misunderstanding your post. Do you mean that I should download seatools and burn it to my CD at half speed? I don't understand the point in that, the Seatools program seems to be working as it does open up and seems to be running. Please explain. Please don't be offended by my lack of understanding, I don't mean to be rude.

Thank You,
    Ron

Dang, I hoped that would do the trick. Seems seagate can not pick up that hdd.

Most burners are set to burn cds at 52x, I change that to 20v which gives the burner more time to write stuff to the cd.
    DVDs normaally uses 16x, I use 8x for most stuff for the same reason.

Hope someone can help you out, as I am now stumped!

Thread Information