PC detects generic non-PnP that doesn't exist

Thread: PC detects generic non-PnP that doesn't exist

PC detects generic non-PnP that doesn't exist

I recently got a new TV and brought my old 1080p TV to use as a second monitor in my office. I'm on Windows 8.1, 10gb of RAM, an FX-6350 AMD 6-core, and a GeForce GT630. The problem is, my graphics card on my work computer only has one HDMI port which was going to my monitor. So for a temporary solution I took a VGA-DVI adapter and got a VGA cable out to use. When I connected my monitor with VGA to DVI and my TV to HDMI, I went into resolution settings to set up the two displays, and the PC detected some erroneous third monitor at 640x480. So now I can't truly extend my desktop on my monitor to my TV because it thinks the main monitor is the one that doesn't exist, and my resolutions are all screwed up. Both displays show the correct resolution in the display settings at 1920x1080.

How it looks on my monitor
    How it looks on my TV

In both there's the third nonexistent monitor at the very top as display number one. I can't figure out how to get rid of it, and telling it to disconnect the display doesn't do anything because it acts like it's still there. So I'm missing some of my icons and they must be on the nonexistent display. The windows look messed up on my TV, like they are at a smaller resolution, even though the rest of it displays at 1080. Meanwhile my monitor, which displays correctly, still shows the Rainmeter gadgets too large. I've updated my geforce drivers and don't have the option to roll back my generic display drivers. This is not a gaming rig. The graphics card is just so I can render HDR and panoramic photos a little better than the integrated chip can. Is this graphics card just not capable of doing multiple displays?

I got a HDMI to DVI-D adapter cable to see if anything changed. It didn't. I've googled the heck out of this and have not come up with anyone with the same problem, nor a solution. This TV has been used as a monitor before with no problems at 1080p. I'm pretty sure DVI-D will display I think one higher resolution than 1080?
    Acer Aspire Ethos 8951g-9600
    Intel Core i7-2630QM
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    16 GB RAM
    GeForce GT555m

Post the make and model of your video cardso we can check the specs on it. You may need to upgrade to a card that has the connections you need. The converters/adapters could be part of the problem.

Thread Information