Another Child of Mine infects his laptop :( - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Child of Mine infects his laptop :(

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Well it showed that C:\ was hidden and unhidding it should be a good start.
    All the drives say HIDDEN, and how do I go about HIDING the drive?
    Will update soon

I found the article online and i'm think that this might be my problem.

Those who upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 without clean install/removing everything, can encounter a problem where Windows 8, not 8.1 is restored. This is because you need to update Custom Recovery Image after upgrading to Windows 8.1 - the image on Recovery Partition is still Windows 8.

You'll need your Windows 8/8.1 installation or recovery media (DVD) and product key to run Reset your PC.

If you encounter the "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" and "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again" errors during the reset process, try rebuilding Boot Configuration Data first. This might also resolve the problems that made Windows unable to boot.
    A far less common cause is that Windows 8 or 8.1 cannot locate a proper driver for the hard drive controller and therefore cannot access partitions. If Windows is able to start, try installing proper chipset drivers (such as Intel or AMD) before refreshing your PC.
    Will update soon

I tend to agree with you. Boy, is that ever messed up.

I'm think that since the PC is working just fine now, other then the Factory Reset is messed up. I wait till the next screw up and will just do a complete fresh Windows 8.1 CD install.
    Will update soon

I use a third party image backup program exclusively on Windows 8.1 whereas with Win7 the built in backup offers more flexibility and and just plain works better.

Macrium Reflect free version is what I"m using on my 8.1 tablet and it does the job well. I backup to both an SDcard and an external HD. Win 8.1 boot makes it a little more complicated to run in a preboot environment to do an image restore but it just takes an extra step or two to get it done.. you need to disable safeboot in the BIOS to begin to get anywhere. I also found that making a bootable Macrium rescue USB thumb drive works but in my case only using the WindowsPE option, not Linux. To make the WinPE disk you need to download some large files to create the bootable medium (CD, DVD or USB) but it's not hard to do once you've got the file(s) you need.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information