Acer laptop - suddenly touchpad does not work, and no mouse pointer

Thread: Acer laptop - suddenly touchpad does not work, and no mouse pointer

Acer laptop - suddenly touchpad does not work, and no mouse pointer

Hi all,

Over the summer, my family traveled cross-country to move some of our things. I stayed to begin a new job, while the rest of the family went back to Virginia to finish packing up the house. When they came back again cross-country, my wife purchased an Acer V15 laptop so she could keep up with email, use the internet etc. -- on the road as well as after arriving.

The laptop has worked flawlessly . . . until this morning. My son had borrowed the mouse/receiver and keyboard from my work laptop in my home office the night before, to use on my wife's Acer; I had to take them back this morning to put back on my laptop for work (including online meetings, etc.).

My wife just now tried using her Acer laptop and, with no mouse, she tried using the touchpad. The touchpad does not work at all, and no mouse pointer is displayed on-screen.

We tried rebooting, but nothing changed. I shut the laptop down cold, then fired it up again; still the same -- no touchpad or mouse pointer. I don't know if something in USB got whacked or what (after pulling the mouse receiver back out).

I can use laptops OK, but don't know a lot about troubleshooting them. (My personal PCs have all been desktops which I have personally built). All constructive comments/information greatly appreciated!

Note: If it helps or matters, the laptop in question uses Windows 8.1

Thanks in advance,

- David G.
    Provo, UT

Possibly useful link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeujNoMH3D8

Check the manual forthe location of a switch, or a key sequence that turns the touchpad on or off.

I would also try resetting it using last known good configuration which can detect Windows errors if the above does not help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...#1TC=windows-7

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks, guys ..... as it turns out, there is indeed a key sequence to turn the touchpad off and on. Cheers!

Thread Information