Securina Scanning Questions - Software Problems

Thread: Securina Scanning Questions - Software Problems

Securina Scanning Questions - Software Problems

I have a HP Pavilion dv6-6047cl, running Windows 7 - 64 bit computer. I have Securina PSI 3.0 on my computer. I am getting the following results from scanning & do not know how to correct them:

1) Adobe Air 14.x End of Life 14.0.0.110 Need 15x Updating
    2) Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0 4.30.2117.0 6x End of Life Click to Update (Cannot update)
    3) Oracle Java JRE 1.7x/7.x 7.0.550.13 7u71 (Contact Support)
    4) Oracle Java JRE 1.7x/7.x (64bit) 7.0.600.19 7u71 Updating (Cannot update)

I would like some guidance how to resolve these and whether if I remove them will cause problems. I do not want any problems with my computer, if I remove these. Each day Securnia PSI wants me to do a "Manual Scan" because of these.

Your help would be appreciated.

DarElls

DarElls--
    Secunia is telling you that some programs should be updated and Secunia is not successful in doing it.
    Do it yourself by going to the Adobe, Java and MS sites. Some of those old versions could be security risks.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Adobe Air is for Flash developers/writers so unless you use it then just uninstall it.

Java should be updated for security risks. Probably easiest to uninstall it and download the latest version.

Not sure about Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0, ... it is, apparently, obsolete but service packs for it can still be installed. Others may know more about this one than I do.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

A good read.
    http://secunia.com/community/forum/t...xml_4_0_thread

Seems PSI maybe has a fault????

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Adobe Air is for Flash developers/writers so unless you use it then just uninstall it.

I was able to install Adobe Air without any problems.

Java should be updated for security risks. Probably easiest to uninstall it and download the latest version.

I know nothing about Java so I am not sure what to do on there website to find what I need.

Not sure about Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0, ... it is, apparently, obsolete but service packs for it can still be installed. Others may know more about this one than I do.
    I know nothing about this including where it is located on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim View Post
    DarElls--
    Secunia is telling you that some programs should be updated and Secunia is not successful in doing it.
    Do it yourself by going to the Adobe, Java and MS sites. Some of those old versions could be security risks.
    Not sure relating to Java & MS how to locate the items plus I know nothing about these items so I am concerned whether I am correcting the problem.

DarElls--
    Unless you are a developer get latest versions of Java here. You may already have it.
    http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

-----------------------------------------
    If you are a developer, there is a version 72
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1880261.html

Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0
    There are Service Packs 2 and 3 as well as Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973688

http://secunia.com/community/forum/t...ices_msxml_4_x

But unless you are a developer I suggest you just not bother with any of this. Secunia may have given you "too much information". And their message to you says "Cannot Update" in two cases.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim View Post
    DarElls--
    But unless you are a developer I suggest you just not bother with any of this. Secunia may have given you "too much information". And their message to you says "Cannot Update" in two cases.
    I am not a developer and feel what you warned me about is exactly the problem. Is there any place in Secunia I can state they ignore these products update? Right now every time I re-boot Secunia tells me I have a manual update that is necessary.

DarElls

Disable the boot up scan. Fact is I uninstalled the silly program.

In Secunia PSI, click "Scan Results" near the top left, then in the Program window on the right, click the little "[+]" at the left of any one of the programs. You'll now see to the left of the drive:\path to the program two little folders. Click the leftmost folder to add the program to Secunia's Ignore list, (the rightmost opens the shown program's folder in Windows Explorer).

DarElls--
    As Train said "Disable the boot up scan. Fact is I uninstalled the silly program. "
    I did, too, some years ago.
    Jim

Works great here. Helps me keep track of what all needs updating.

Thread Information