Malwarebytes Problem

Thread: Malwarebytes Problem

Malwarebytes Problem

Question: My Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software (paid version) indicates the following in the Settings under Detention and Protection: These are Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP's) and Potentially Unwanted Modifications (PUM's). There are several options, they are: Treat as malware, Warn users about detention, or Ignore detentions. Right now I have it set as "warn users about detention". It takes over the laptop computer if it detects one. I am wondering if I put "ignore detentions" will I have a problem with my computer. Recently I have been trying to put "free" software for video editing on my computer this has caused this problem. Your comments would be appreciative.

Dar Ells

It depends on what the programs are that it detects. Usually PUP's and PUM's are programs that are bundled with other programs that you've downloaded like video editing programs for eg.

Just have a look at the name of the programs that are detected and decide if you want to keep them or not. 99% of the time you probably won't because they'll be things like driver updaters, registry cleaners, PC optimizers, etc. All things that can add toolbars, hijack and/or slow down browsing, damage your computer if run and allowed to make changes etc.

Have a look in add/remove programs first and see if you can simply uninstall it/them. If not then let Malwarebytes do it.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

DarElls--
    I have the free version of MalwareBytes.
    It puts suspected baddies in a folder like quarantine. I then can delete all or some from History tab|Quarantine.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Yes, I have the paid version of Malwarebytes. This is causing me problems all the times. If I chose "Treat detections as malware: The detection will be treated as malware, and corrective actions will occur that is every time I re-boot my computer; "Warn user about detections: You will be alerted to the detection, and you may choose to ignore it, create an exclusion, or treat it as malware."it takes over the computer & run a scan t everytime it sees one. ( it does not do it as often, but it still does it.); I have never chose " Ignore Detections: Malwarebytes will not act on detection, nor will you be alerted. I was wondering what it does and would I be sorry. I still need this type of software on my computer. The free software that I like has malware in it when downloading the software & continues getting this warning. It is "Freeware Video Converter" the one I like the best so far. I am hunting for ones that do not have any malware in them.

I am beginning to think it is in my browser & my e-mail (which is Firefox & Thunderbird) have to eliminate it & re-install it, but not sure. What do you think?

Next step I believe I have re-install Windows 7. I would not like to do this because I really do not have the time right now to do this.

Your comments would be appreciated on this problem.

Thanks,
    DarElls

I don't think you'll need to reinstall Windows. That would be a no other option scenario which you are far from here. If the program that Malwarebytes is seeing is your editing program itself and not something that was installed along with it, it may just be because it's ad supported and is considered adware. If that doesn't bother you and it's causing no other problems on your computer then choose to ignore it and don't worry about it any more.

Not all ad supported software is harmful. If it just displays ads within it's own GUI when you use it then I think that is just fine. If it hijacks your browser or displays ads in other places then not so much.

In any case you can change your mind afterwards if you decide to not ignore it. Everything is reversible so long as anything you may delete in the future remains in Malwarebytes quarantine folder where it is rendered harmless in storage.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

DarElls--
    "Next step I believe I have re-install Windows 7. I would not like to do this because I really do not have the time right now to do this"

A Repair Install takes only two hours or less. It does not affect your personal data or installed programs. However, a backup first is always advisable
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html
    Jim

I've always used the free version with no issues except it detects any suspicious items, but I've never seen any thing connected with rebooting that i an remember, where would this come from?

I finally found out that my AMD/ATI Video Driver was uninstalled by one of my virus, anti-spyware, or Malwarebytes. I re-installed my AMD/ATI Video Driver. I still am confused about the malwarebytes & whether when discovered will have problems with my computer. Your comments would be appreciative.

DarElls

DarElls--
    What is it that confuses you about MalwareBytes?
    Perhaps this tutorial will help
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...lware-tutorial
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim View Post
    DarElls--
    What is it that confuses you about MalwareBytes?
    Perhaps this tutorial will help
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...lware-tutorial
    Thanks for the tutorial. I have printed already and plan to read it today. I am confused about PUP & PUM. Are they dangerous being on my computer? I have one piece of software (video editing - Freemake Video Converter) that finds it on a regular basis. This concerns me.

DarElls

Thread Information