Same again but 8.1 to XP for Canon printer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same again but 8.1 to XP for Canon printer

Same again but 8.1 to XP for Canon printer

I've just been lumbered with the position of Treasurer for a local community group and all the accounts etc., are on an old Sony laptop running XP.
    Somehow it felt like an old friend when I started using it but it's so long since I used XP I've forgotten more that I knew

How can I get the Same CanonMG5200 to print from the laptop - can it be done from XP?

I dabbled with a few settings, tried a few options, it found the computer, and Homegroup funnily enough but not the printer. It offered to send stuff via a keydrive but I thought everything needed would be on the 8.1 desktop already?

Thanks again,

Did you download and install the Windows 8.1 driver for the Cannon MG5200 printer?

Google: canon mg5200 driver

For installing on which machine - new desktop on 8.1 or laptop on Xp?

In order for the computer to communicate with a printer, it needs a driver for that printer.

So, if you're using a computer that's running Windows XP, and you want it to be able to print on a Canon MG5200 printer, you need to download and install Canon's MG5200 printer driver for Windows XP.

And if you're using a computer that's running Windows 7, and you want it to be able to print on a Canon MG5200 printer, you need to download install Canon's MG5200 printer driver for Windows 7.

And if you're using a computer that's running Windows 8, and you want it to be able to print on a Canon MG5200 printer, you need to download and install Canon's MG5200 printer driver for Windows 8.

And if you're using a computer that's running Linux, and you want it to be able to print on a Canon MG5200 printer, you need to download and install Canon's MG5200 printer driver for Linux.

You get the idea.

I get the idea, but suspect it won't be that simple. The other thread I closed (as it printed last night on the 8.1 laptop) is now giving an access denied message... but thats another thread

As you can see the printer has signed on (I decided to instal your new driver on that new laptop too) but it gets that message at the end of installation?

Maybe I should leave this thread until the other is sorted as if it's a network issue the XP is never going to work either?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The computer will NOT be able to send anything to the printer until the computer is connected to the printer.

Can't you connect from the XP laptop to the printer directly over the network? BTW, XP doesn't support Homegroups.

If you already installed the printer software on XP, just add a TCPIP port pointing to the IP of the printer.
    https://www.microsoft.com/resources/....mspx?mfr=true

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Can't you connect from the XP laptop to the printer directly over the network?
    That's what I'm trying to do but both the 8.1 and now the XP laptops are stuggling - or at least I am - to connect to the network.
    If you look at the other thread you'll see what I mean.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...revious-backup but now NOT resolved

Huh? Do you mean this thread instead?
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...r-8-1-disaster

We can remove the "resolved".

Did you run the wireless setup or not? In that other thread, I think you had it connected via USB to the desktop, so it doesn't sound like you configured the printer for your wireless network.

If you can remove the Resolved header that would be great. No it was wireless not USB, and it finally worked that night but next day it was a gonner!!

Power cycle the router.

just add a TCPIP port pointing to the IP of the printer - tried that on the XP and it printed a page. Switched off the computer and now it's just like the 8.1 - it shows the printer but won't connect/print to it

You will probably need to assign a static IP address to the printer. That may fix the problem. It is what I do for all of my network printers.

Possibly useful links:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...etup+static+ip

files.canon-europe.com/files/soft39429/manual/CanonMG5200EN.pdf

Thread Information