Organizing songs for a USB stick

Thread: Organizing songs for a USB stick

Organizing songs for a USB stick

I have a new car with a stereo with USB on it. I dumped 1000 songs on a USB stick and my vehicle only plays 255 songs and then goes back to number 1 again. Do I need to put a folder on the stick first and then put songs in a folder. I just put the songs on the root of the USB stick. My stereo will say Root when I plug it in.

My stereo has a Text button that list. Folder and File. If I choose File text then it lists the artist. If I choose Folder text it says Root.

I am thinking that I may have to put either one folder on the USB stick or many folders with 255 songs in each folder.

What if I just make a Music folder and put all 1000 songs into one folder.

I just want to know how these new fangled stereos work with these .Mp3 files.

I will have to do more experimenting I guess.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

Actually, you may find that you are limited to 255 songs per folder. You can try putting all 1000 songs into a folder to see what happens. That should only take a few seconds to do from a computer. You might want to rty organizing the music by type into at least 4 folders if 1000 songs per folder does not work.

How is it formatted? The index for the root dir in FAT16 maxes out at 512 entries, BUT, this can be much lower if you use long file names.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    How is it formatted? The index for the root dir in FAT16 maxes out at 512 entries, BUT, this can be much lower if you use long file names.
    FAT 32. I put 300 songs in a folder and it went from file(mp3) 1 backwards to 255. So I guess I have to put 255 files into each folder for all the songs to read.
    Thanks, JB

Sounds like it may be a limitation of the stereo then.

I got it done though. It was a good time to choose songs that I like and get rid of the songs that my wife doesn't like. Cleanup is done and ready for a road trip. 1585 songs. yeah! Thanks
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information