[RESOLVED] Dell Optiplex dilemna

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dell Optiplex dilemna

Resolved [RESOLVED] Dell Optiplex dilemna

Hey all, time for me to turn to my trusted forum of experts in helping me solve this issue. So here goes.
    Have a Dell OptiPlex GX280. This computer came to me with an issue not detecting the Sata drive on board. I reset Bios(powered down) I then checked Bios settings to make sure Sata was enabled. I then tried the system and it booted up and recognized the hdd just fine. Great, problem solved. Shut down the computer and closed the case and restarted, no hdd detected!!! Ok opened it up, reseated memory, checked cable connections and turned it on. Again it booted up fine. Ok time to close it up and check it out, NO HDD detected!!! Hmmm....ok so I again opened the case checked out the connections, replaced the sata cable, just in case, and restarted the computer. Yup worked just fine. Closed the case, rebooted.......no HDD
    I am totally frustrated and out of ideas, anybody? Somebody?
    And thanks in advance!
    *My computer IS my best friend *

Have a Dell OptiPlex GX280
    That system is notorious for having bad caps on the motherboard. Check those. Look at the examples on the right side of that page.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

Would that still be the case if when the system is open I can boot to the hdd and access the Operating system just fine?

Upon inspection all capacitors seem to be fine........

Which case form factor is it, Mini Tower, Desktop, or SFF?

Maybe the power connector on the drive is loose? It sounds like something is getting pulled/pushed.

That would be SFF. You know the one.....how much can we stuff in so little space.

So just for the halibut I used electrical tape and taped the connectors tight to the HDD. Yea.....still no go, unless the case is open.
    Gonna have to sleep on this one for certain.

Oh man. All 3 are pretty bad, but the SFF is the worst. That weird clam shell design is a nightmare to work on.

Sounds like a cable is getting pulled, but it's hard to say. Did you try swapping out the HD?

I'd triple check those caps, though. Lots and lots of bad ones on the GX280s.

Ah, just saw you last post now. Hmm. Bizarre. I'd swap out the HD just to see if it makes a difference.

The only thing I can come up with is that there may be a bad connector on the HDD itself. It seems to work best with no pressure or stress in the cabling. I tried removing the HDD from the mounting bracket and just letting it sit there but that seemed to put a little pressure on the connector, thus it would not recognize the HDD.
    I am going to try my theory on another HDD from a compatible computer.
    Wish me luck!

Ok tried another HDD with the case closed and it booted recognized and booted to the HDD just fine. In the mean time I took the liberty of removing the connector board from the troublesome HDD cleaning the contacts and then reinstalling the board, making sure all the screws were tight.
    I then reinstalled the HDD to the computer and tested. Still nothing when the case is closed up. Obviously there is an issue with this connector board.
    Going to search around in my graveyard and see if I might have another of the same HDD around that I can swap out the connector board with.

Ah, so it seems like a HD controller board issue. It would need the be the same model and firmware version. I would just toss the drive and swap it with another complete drive.

Yea seems that is was the controller on the HDD. I cloned the info to another drive and installed and all is well.
    Thanks to all once again!!

Cool. Glad you got it sorted out.

Thread Information