Is my ssd dead or dying

Thread: Is my ssd dead or dying

Is my ssd dead or dying

Been using an early Plextor ssd, 120 GB for almost two years. Recently, after using Win 7 backup/image (a very good feature), and after a backup has been completed, I get the message: Boot from CD Rom. Insert operating system disk and reboot the computer. Never had that message before when backing up to the SSD. I have the same Win 7 with all features, programs on a spare drive, a SATA drive. When I connect that hard drive to the computer, and backup, all is well. The system behaves itself. It's only when I backup to the SSD that I get the message to insert O/S and reboot. Maybe the early models of the SSDs did not have a long live. Donna know. When I use the SSD as normal (it certainly shortens times to programs, internet, etc.), I don't get the insert O/S disk and reboot message. Help appreciated, and thanks. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Why are you backing up to the SSD? Normally you would be backing up from the SSD to another drive.

Thanks. The problem occurs only when I image the SSD drive to an external USB hard drive. I also have a second drive, SATA hard drive with the same operating system, Win 7 Pro. When I switch from using the SATA drive to the SSD drive and image it, I get the error message only when the SSD drive is installed, and after it is backed up to the external USB hard drive. The SSD ought to behave just as the SATA drive when it is directly connected to the computer. Seems that something is happening during the clone process of the SSD drive, causing the message, immediately after the backup image has been completed. Again, I don't get this message when the SATA drive is directly connected tot he computer, image backed up and completed. Behaves very normal, with no messages to install o/s disk.
    Jim S.

Oh, I see. That is odd. In Windows "Disk Management", does the Status of that drive show "Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump< Primary Partition)"?

(To get there, attach the SSD but boot from the SATA, click the Start orb, right-click Computer and select Manage, then click Storage > Disk Management).

Went back to the beginning, and eyeballed all that was going on, during the clone from the SATA drive to the SSD. Noted, that the external usb drive was pulsating, diming, then brightening as the process proceeded. Clone finished, and problem was the same as noted above. Redid the clone, only this time made certain that the external hard drive action light remained steady, it did not pulsate dim and bright, dim and bright. Chanted USB ports, and this time, the clone was clean. When finished, I did not get the error message as noted above. Checked ext. hd for the image clone, and all was well. This is an olderd ABIT motherboard (a great one for its time), but all the usb ports are occupied, and it appears that from-time-to-time there is a strain on the machine, relative to the USB ports. I even have an AC powered external USB hub connected to the unit. Now I know that when saving to the ext. hd, I have to make certain that I'm getting a strong enough power source to keep the drive from pulsating, indicating possibly, that it's not getting enough stable current to operate properly. Just a thought, but changing the USB port, and disconnecting an item from another USB port, seems to have helped things along. Thanks for the help. Jim S
    Jim S.

Thread Information