Win 7 install hanging at 'expanding files' - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 install hanging at 'expanding files'

Great problem! I don't think it's the drive because 'Windows is copying files' comes before expanding the files.

Will it install from a USB flash/thumb drive?

1. Download an .ISO of the correct version of Windows:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

2. Install it to a USB key using Microsoft's:

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

3. And then set the BIOS to boot from the USB key.

Well, I'm glad you're finding this entertaining Reverend :-) To be honest so am I.

On to today's progress. I disconnected usb stuff included the card reader connected to the internal header and guess what....same result.

At lunch time I'd nipped out to the local computer store and splashed out 11 pounds on a new DVD drive and hey presto....windows started to install. BTW, that's one point to JDC2000.

Unfortunately it started but didn't finish. It got most of the way through, then at the 'configure components' stage it stopped and said this:
    Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install windows, restart the computer and restart the computer.
    I did this, and of course it just stopped at the same point.
    Does the install routine create an install log that can be interrogated?

Hmm. I thought you tested the DVD drive already. Using known good hardware is a basic step.

You can try to capture the setup logs.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

What additional cards/hardware do you have connected? Remove any PCI/PCIe cards, except video. You could also go into the BIOS and disable audio or LAN, and then re-enable them after the Windows install completes.

I've had older low-powered computers take up to three hours to uncompress the install files in Win 7. Let the thing sit there overnight if need be. If that doesn't work try doing the install from a USB flash drive.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

Windows could not configure one or more system components.
    This message likely means that Windows could not set up a device driver properly. Follow Midknyte's instructions and try to install with a bare minimum of hardware connected or activated (BIOS).

I don't have any expansion cards in, I'll try the disable in bios approach. I also retrieved this file 'setupact.log' Any clues here?

link-to-file

I just tried disabling lan and audio at bootup. There's no bios options for this - according to this they auto-disable if a competing card is installed. So nothing to test there.

I assume that you are NOT attempting an upgrade installation, but are doing a new, clean install. If that is the case, try deleting ALL partitions on the drive you are installing to, then reformatting that drive, then proceed with the install. If that still does not work, it is possible that the install media has some files that cannot be read properly. Try a different install disc, or try copying the install disc to a new, blank (not RW) disc to see if the copy finishes. If it does, try installing from the new copy of the disc.

Link:

http://www.computing.net/answers/win...one/17422.html

And slow the burn down so all the files get put on the new disk in such a manner they can be read.

Thanks JDC but this is where I started, at the beginning of the thread. It's a clean in stall on a new hard drive with freshly created partitions. I did actually do a copy disc using image burn at 1x, so I really don't think it's the install disk.

Is there anything to be learned from the install log I posted?

I took a look at your error log, pressed [Ctrl-F] typed in "fail" (without the quotes), pressed [F3] and counted eight hits. You might try looking up each on Google and see if it turns up anything that might help.

Did you ever try it from a USB flash drive instead of a DVD?

My thought was that the failed installations will have left some, but not all, of the files needed by Windows in place, including potentially some bad ones. It could not hurt to try recreating the partitions.

Also, it may be that the reason the first CD/DVD drive could not read the install disc was that there were problems with it. The new drive did better, but still had trouble.

Installing from a flash drive would eliminate the disc and the CD/DVD drive as potential problems, and might help narrow down the possible causes.

I tried to do that, but diskpart doesn't see my usb drive, just the hdd.

Did you try the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool? You shouldn't need diskpart for that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...load-tool.html

Thread Information