Three (3) sepreate HDDs DEAD, why?

Thread: Three (3) sepreate HDDs DEAD, why?

Unhappy Three (3) sepreate HDDs DEAD, why?

Three separate HDDs suddenly went dead. I've tried DOS format and "no drives found", plus SpinRite 6 (GRC) sez "DO NOT use this on the HDD unless you are willing to suffer possible permanent damage."

Due I have a buggy-boo? Ought I use a hammer & beat the bug to death? Ought I use some software to clean/fix all three.
    Yes, I accept all the movies/music/programs stored on the 1TB HDD (SATA) is lost, OR is it? You have a way of saving these drives?

Have you tried accessing them with another computer?

Lightning strike 28 miles away, I know fried a computer.

Train; No I have not, yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

What is the rest of the story/history to this machine... Did it work recently - and did you make ANY type of change to it prior to losing access to the drives?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Steve;

Yes it was working & all of the drives were working as expected.

Is it possible someone could have attacked my machine with a destruct 'bot? The only thing wrong with that idea is not all three were in use at the same time, I think #3 was added separately, no guarantee. IF a 'bot was used could it have hidden it self elsewhere and rise from the dead to attack the 2nd time?

Now that I guess about it (not think, such gets me in trouble), all 3 may have been in at the same time.

Is it possible someone could have attacked my machine with a destruct 'bot?
    Not likely. 99 percent of the time someone attacks a computer these days it's to steal info, hijack it for their own use or hold it for ransom to make money.

Breaking it would be counter productive although there used to be viruses that did that except with software destruction not hardware. Also a malicious attack on a computer's software/operating system would only have affected the primary drive with the OS in use.

I would also lean heavily towards hardware issues with all the drives having been damaged together although it's still worthwhile to check them in another computer to make double sure it isn't a motherboard or power supply issue in the original computer.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

double sure it isn't a motherboard or power supply issue in the original computer.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    What is the rest of the story/history to this machine... Did it work recently - and did you make ANY type of change to it prior to losing access to the drives?
    Yes, all the drives worked OK the day before the failure. I used Avira AV scan to insure bug free every 3-4 days.

I've decided static electricity or who knows?

Time to upgrade to a new mo-chine..

Possibly a bad controller. That's the board then.

Thread Information