headphones to TV w/o a 3.5mm jack.

Thread: headphones to TV w/o a 3.5mm jack.

headphones to TV w/o a 3.5mm jack.

I just got a new LED TV, which works very well. However, it has no 3.5mm jack for a headphone, and I would like to connect my headphones to the TV. I already contacted the manufacturer, and he confirmed that the only way to connect headphones is to buy amplified headphones and connect them through the RCA Audio Out which the TV has. This also means a Y-cable with a female jack. I could not find "amplified" headphones on the net. So far so good. Further investigations resulted in the following:

a) use wireless headphones, and I found the Sennheiser RS 170 which would fit the purpose, or

b) use a Digital to analog converter, connect it with a TOSlink or coax cable to the TV and then plug in the headphone, where the volume has to manually adjusted on the DAC.
    TOSlink and Coax connections are present on the TV.

At this moment, my tendency is to go for the wireless headphones. Is/are there some opinions or advice on the matter?

Third option would be to use a small amp connected to the RCA outs on the TV and then any set of headphones, wired or unwired will work. You could buy a very inexpensive audio amp new or used from a local store. I have bought a half dozen 5-10 watt audio amps for almost exactly this purpose... a headphone amp for pro audio applications (2 of them used from my local Goodwill center for around 5 dollars each).

Find an amp that has a tape, aux or CD input.. phono inputs won't work properly. Fortunately almost every amp or receiver made since the 70's has one or more of these as input choices.

As an example here's one I just randomly found using google..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/c...ationFlag=true

Between the two above options I'd go with "A", the wireless headphones because simpler is better.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Have decided for the headphones.

Thread Information